Peacock Springs Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SmokeAire

Contributor
Reaction score
A few of us are planning to go up to Peacock Springs tomorrow. We are all AOW/Nitrox cert. Not cavern or cave cert. According to the state web page on Peacock open water divers are not allowed to dive there unless accompanied by an instructor. DeLoach's book only mentions that OW divers are not allowed to bring lights or go in the caves (duh). What's the scoop?

Some of our goals, besides exploring the springs, is working on weighting, because of new wet suit purchases and the use of steel tanks (we dive with AL80) since we will be taking the steels to Boynton on the 21st.
I've been told that the springs at Peacock are deeper then Troy Springs, Troy being around 73'. Of course Troy is the other alternative but I've been there several times and would like to dive somthing new. Besides it only costs $10 for either springs.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Chuck

It depends on exactly where you are planning on going. For example; The Peacock I basin is somewhere in the 10-20 ft range in size and probably 10 feet deep at it's deepest without getting into the overhead area. Peacock III is long, but maybe 5 feet deep most of the way.

Orange Grove has a decent basin, but we're still only talking about 30 or so feet deep [IIRC].

Another option woudl be to look at Royal Springs. It's free, has a platform. From what I understand, it's used for OW Classes. Just stay out of the overhead since it's pretty nasty over there.

Nasty in what way? Viz?
Chuck

New rules at Peacock are OW is allowed in Peacock 2 basin only. There must be an Instructor present on the dive to OW in Orange Grove. OG is only 50ft before it hits the cavern. Youre better off going to Troy and Royal. There not much in the way of OW around there without paying for the dive parks.

jviehe:
New rules at Peacock are OW is allowed in Peacock 2 basin only. There must be an Instructor present on the dive to OW in Orange Grove. OG is only 50ft before it hits the cavern. Youre better off going to Troy and Royal. There not much in the way of OW around there without paying for the dive parks.

I got this from a post by Janet (Peacock Springs State Park) over on www.cavediver.net posted 1-31-2004:

In reference to a post earlier in the week concerning openwater diving at PSSP. Manager Tom Brown has decided there is to be no openwater diving in Peacock Two at all, and the only openwater diving at Orange Grove must be with an instructor present, we cannot let a divemaster take open water certified divers in any longer.

So the best bet would be for you to go to Troy and Royal.

SmokeAire:
Nasty in what way? Viz?
Chuck

If you aren't cavern or cave cert you shouldn't be in an overhaead anyway, but what he means by nasty is the cave there is small, tight, and loaded with silt. I don't even know any cave divers that go there, and the last 2 people that I know that did go in there (ow divers) both came out in body bags.

Royal as a very deep layer of really fine silt all over. Its a great place to pracitce skills cuz you will know when you silt up cuz it will stay that way for a while. So stay off the bottom. The vis there is usually good until those with less than perfect skills silt it all up. Its also a really nice night dive. I also try and pick up all the trash from the bottom while I am there, so feel free to do the same, sometimes you can find some good stuff lost in there by the locals that use it was a swimming hole.

Troy it is then but maybe Royal might be an interesting change. I'm am planning on getting my Cavern cert. soon. Can't wait.

Thanks for all the help.

Chuck

My vote would be for Royal. Lots of interesting little fish - I liked the freshwater flounders (?). I think thats what they are.

Wendy:
what he means by nasty is the cave there is small, tight, and loaded with silt. I don't even know any cave divers that go there, and the last 2 people that I know that did go in there (ow divers) both came out in body bags.

Thanks Wendy. Yes, that's exactly what I meant, both the small and tight part, combined with the motivation for the comment due to the deaths... better to mention it then feel guilty about not saying anything.

And yes, from what I've heard; it's small, tight, and doesn't go much of anywhere interesting and so the cave divers don't bother.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom