Peacock Springs Reopening...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went there today, remains closed and was crowded
Everywhere will be crowded due to the gue conference. Plus dema is next week so some people will come down to dive then drive to New Orleans. Thank god it’s not in Orlando this year. For a week before and after dema in Orlando it seems cave country is full of some of the worst vacation divers who probably shouldn’t be in the caves without a refresher. I generally avoid the area this week and next due to so many annoying experiences. Such as a team of 3 with 2 on their knees and one of them standing in the cave at orange grove.

For a week before and after dema in Orlando it seems cave country is full of some of the worst vacation divers who probably shouldn’t be in the caves
Those of you who have been cave diving a while *MAY* recall when the Hillier Tunnel in Ginnie was literally destroyed...it was the week after a DEMA in Orlando.

I dived into that tunnel on a Monday---the following Wednesday I dived into it again and the bottom was literally ruined. I found out it was a group of divers/instructors and students from South America who practiced zero vis gas sharing exits down that tunnel AND a couple of DPV classes from the same group.

Pretty much the same A$$holes who carved their name in the clay bank at Cow.

PY.png

Blue Springs Orange city is probably the worst for 'name-carving'.
There is actually gang symbols carved into the hard limestone walls.

Ginnie was packed today like a busy summer day but all divers. Lots of people that lacked cave etiquette. Talked to an instructor that even said he was canceling his students later this week because it was too busy.

Those of you who have been cave diving a while *MAY* recall when the Hillier Tunnel in Ginnie was literally destroyed...it was the week after a DEMA in Orlando.

I dived into that tunnel on a Monday---the following Wednesday I dived into it again and the bottom was literally ruined. I found out it was a group of divers/instructors and students from South America who practiced zero vis gas sharing exits down that tunnel AND a couple of DPV classes from the same group.

View attachment 809554

I remember hearing about that. Thanks for that photo. I never saw it when i happened

Ginnie was packed today like a busy summer day but all divers. Lots of people that lacked cave etiquette. Talked to an instructor that even said he was canceling his students later this week because it was too busy.
Yep. That's the issue. Its not just people who have no business being in caves without some mentorship cause they only dive a cave once a year. It's also the people who have no idea about etiquette such as allowing an exiting team to have the right away.
About 3 years ago a group of Brazilian divers (pretty sure two of which were "technical instructors" were at Ginnie this time of year. I was pulling my jump from the bone line back to the park bench and they decided to run their line to the bone line eventhough they could clearly see me. I gave them signals, light flashes, and eventually the finger, yet I still had to sit there waiting for them to finish their jump and move up the line so that I could pull line and exit without entangling with them. I was solo with a buddy bottle, but still they have no idea if I was close on gas. I waited a bit after to "debrief" them in the parking lot but they never showed up. Likely for the best because my debriefing wouldn't have been pleasant.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom