Pearl Harbour Attack Sub found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heard on the news yesterday that one of the Japanese minisubs that was sunk the day of the attack on Pearl Harbour was found accidentally in a debris field near the entrance to Pearl. It was sunk by a destroyer when it was found trailing a freighter into the harbour two hours prior to the air attack. Didn't say how deep the water was but that it was intacted and its two torpedos were in place. Hatch still sealed, conning tower only apparent damage. Found by an underwater submersible going through trials. Amazing archeological find. "Minisub" was apparently a two man vessel of approx. 60 foot by 6 foot. Hadn't been found before because it was among a debris field of war surplus gear dumped by US Navy after the war....and on your left is a tank...oh and on your right is a sub with live torps....I imagine some strong emotions tied to this find on both sides of the ocean...

Interesting mix we'll need to reach it. My decoplanner won't handle the depth; however, my hand calculations suggest something along the lines of 4% O2 (I didn't take the time to calculate the He) and one heck of a deco obligation.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom