Pearl Lake (S. Beloit,IL) - new owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Pearl Lake in S. Beloit, IL (IL/WI border) has been sold. Bad owners are GONE! New owner will reopen it to the public. Article mentions nothing about diving, but all fingers crossed diving is back to how it used to be - open to all divers. It was sold to a big RV park owner in late 2019. Since then, you could only dive as part of a dive shop sponsored group. No showing up to just dive with buddies.

The new owner at Pearl is making it even worse for divers. He is maintaining the policy the previous owners started last year. You have to reserve half day slots only. And you’ll pay $30 for a half day. $60 for full day. Gilboa in OH with a lot of amenities and uw attractions is $35 for a full day.

Pearl has nice viz. You can barely see at Haigh these days and a lot of people don’t want to drive four or more hours to Wazee Lake in WI.

Instructors are saying on FB that Pearl can shove it. They’re not going to rush their divers.

Bummer. That's where I did my certification dives for OW and AOW.

They're charging $20 per day per person, just for beach access. They've lost their minds.
They will make $$$ hand over fist with that.
How many other beaches are there within a 30min drive of rockford/beloit?

They will make $$$ hand over fist with that.
How many other beaches are there within a 30min drive of rockford/beloit?
Lions beach in Janesville is the closest thing I can come up with off hand.

Price hike aside, with the everything I've been hearing about the new owners, I'd much rather not patronize the business entirely.

The new owner has apparently listened to the dive community. Big changes.

Diving allowed Wednesday-Sunday. Now $30 for the entire day. No advance appointment required. And best of all, you no longer have to be in a class or a dive shop-sponsored group. You can just show up with your buddies!

Divers do still need to have DAN insurance. Solo not allowed.

I’m diving there today so will report back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom