Pelham 4/14-4/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey,

what's the water temp average for the summer in pelham? i visit my mom up there sometimes and would like a "guided tour" (meet and greet) with some SB folks.

of course i live in the keys. last time i was in the water (last week) it was 72 degrees and i wore a 1mm suit + 3mm suit + 7mm hood w/3mm vest.

yes it looks like a math problem. we are spoiled with "warm" water down here. i guess i should invest in a 3 inch wetsuit??
just need to know what to expect when i get back up there. any help (sarcastic or otherwise) is appreciated.

dano

It was 54 degrees 4 weeks ago. I do not know about summer temp first hand but I have talked to people that say there is 3 thermoclines. They say temps renge from 80 degrees down to 58 degrees. I will find out for myself this summer. We usually plan our pelham dives here so just keep an eye out or start your own thread the weekend you will be here. I'm only 20 minutes away.

thanks clay

sounds ccccccold!

i saw an aerial view with the platforms and other "sunken treasures" highlighted. it looks similar to our training facility at the college. ours isn't as deep though. ours might get to 42 feet or so.

i think it would be fun to dive there. if i get up that way, i'll need a buddy ( the wife dives sometimes but........i'll leave it at that)

dano

I am also about 20-30 minutes from Bluewater. I was there last Sunday and dove wet. I wore a 5mm with hood and gloves and was very comfortable at 90ft. During the summer months I will dive a 3mm and have been known to dive in just trunks. If anyone goes up that way give me a shout.

thanks for all the responses. i think i'm gonna go with a 3mm shorty either over or under my 3mm wetsuit. plus hood, boots, and gloves. (no hood for the first two dives, b/c of mask skills, etc., but definitely for my last 3)

btw, not to hijack my own thread, but scubakicker, is that a reference to a football kicker? or do i just think that because i was a kicker in my high school football days?

biggmarty:
btw, not to hijack my own thread, but scubakicker, is that a reference to a football kicker? or do i just think that because i was a kicker in my high school football days?

No, no reference to football. Actually Kicker is a nickname that I have had for many years, so when I got into diving I added the Scuba...

Temp was 54F at 80 feet last week, but you won't go that deep for your OW checkout.

aowdan:
hey,

what's the water temp average for the summer in pelham? i visit my mom up there sometimes and would like a "guided tour" (meet and greet) with some SB folks.

of course i live in the keys. last time i was in the water (last week) it was 72 degrees and i wore a 1mm suit + 3mm suit + 7mm hood w/3mm vest.

yes it looks like a math problem. we are spoiled with "warm" water down here. i guess i should invest in a 3 inch wetsuit??
just need to know what to expect when i get back up there. any help (sarcastic or otherwise) is appreciated.

dano
We've been to Pelham quite a few times in the summer, and have measured the temps at up to 85 in the top thermocline (which usually runs to about 28 feet). I wear a 3mm in that (and in the Keys), 'cause you can always flush the suit if you're too warm (and I'm cold-natured).

Anyway, I'm sure we'll be up there this summer as well a few times. Pelham's one of my favorite quarries (love the color of the water).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom