Pelican 2010 vs. Princeton Tec Torrent Xenon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I looking for a BC pocket light to be used mainly for daytime use -- ledges and crevices. In part this is because my Princeton Tec Rage, which I had high hopes for us as a mitey bright light, flooded on the first dive. I saw the new ScubaLab review of dive lights, and these two caught my eye:

-- Pelican Recoil 2010 LED. Love that tight beam and the nearly unbreakable LED. Not so sure about the suboptimal runtime from an unregulated LED. Effective battery life may be only several hours, like an incandescent.

-- Princeton Tec Torrent Xenon. Love the sounds of the superior brightness. Have run across some threads reporting flooding problems (see my Rage experience above). Not wild about $10 replacement bulbs every 30 hours or so, thus the appeal of the Pelican

Would appreciate views from those with experience with either of these lights, each of which are $35 from LP.

P.S. I know I should really save up for a UK SL4 eLED, but that's $15 more at LP.

Thanks,
Jonathan

JShrier:
I looking for a BC pocket light to be used mainly for daytime use -- ledges and crevices. In part this is because my Princeton Tec Rage, which I had high hopes for us as a mitey bright light, flooded on the first dive. I saw the new ScubaLab review of dive lights, and these two caught my eye:

-- Pelican Recoil 2010 LED. Love that tight beam and the nearly unbreakable LED. Not so sure about the suboptimal runtime from an unregulated LED. Effective battery life may be only several hours, like an incandescent.

-- Princeton Tec Torrent Xenon. Love the sounds of the superior brightness. Have run across some threads reporting flooding problems (see my Rage experience above). Not wild about $10 replacement bulbs every 30 hours or so, thus the appeal of the Pelican

Would appreciate views from those with experience with either of these lights, each of which are $35 from LP.

P.S. I know I should really save up for a UK SL4 eLED, but that's $15 more at LP.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan. We sell both of these lights, and I get very good feedback on both of them. We have several of the Torrents in our "staff" bag and they take a beating and still seem to work well. We also have several of the 2010 and 2410 Pelican lights.

I have personal, non-diving experience with a 2010. When I leave home each night after a long day at the store, I take my little dog out for about an hour of walking. I have been using a 2010 for almost a year. Remember, I use this light for an hour each day.......I have replaced the batteries only 4 times. I have personally never seen battery life that compares to this on any light. I am getting FAR more than the advertised battery life.

If you want to discuss this or any other light, give me a call toll-free at (800) 601-DIVE. I love to talk about scuba and diving equipment. Thanks.

Oh, why not request a FREE $10 Gift Card? Just Click!

Phil Ellis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom