pelican case and the airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't worry too much Jim.

I just returned from the Philippines last week. I went on Philippine Airlines and took my Storm Case as carry on with all my camera gear in it. I assure you it weighed over 15 pounds. It is similar to the Pelican case. No one ever weighed it at any time in either direction.

I also took an in-country flight from Manila to Cebu and no one checked it for weight. They will look to see if you have more than 1 carry-on. If you have a small back pack and your Pelican case then no problem as females are allowed a carry-on and a handbag.

Technically you are allowed 1 carry-on at 7 kilos on Philippine Airlines and 20 kilos per person for check-in luggage on the in-country flights. You have to pay 30.48 pesos per kilo for overweight check-in bags.

I also took the "Oceanjet" ferry from Cebu to Bohol and they check your luggage weight. 20 kilos is also the limit per person. 10 pesos per kilo for overweight.

Bottom line is the in-country flights and ferry allow less baggage weight than the international flight as is the case in most countries.

Jim,
I travel all over the world as a pro photographer. I always carry my camera gear and laptop on board. Nearly empty Pelican cases get stuffed into a large duffel bag along with whatever else is needed. One personal bag.

I would no sooner check cameras and lenses than I would my ex wifes diamonds when we were married.

i used pelican case on my last dive trip and will probably never use it again, great usage for international trip (allow 70lbs of weight), fits 1 set of dive gear perfectly but prepare to pay some extra over weight charges if you're flying domesticly within your destination, somehow these just doesn't add up.

OE2X:
Jim,
I travel all over the world as a pro photographer. I always carry my camera gear and laptop on board. Nearly empty Pelican cases get stuffed into a large duffel bag along with whatever else is needed. One personal bag.

I would no sooner check cameras and lenses than I would my ex wifes diamonds when we were married.

I agree. I would never put my camera gear in check-in baggage even considering the fact it is not expensive professional gear. It's expensive to me. The same goes for my laptop.

hey thanks alot guys , i am going to carry it all on one way or another, if i have to put camera in housing and attach strobe and carry it as one unit i will but there is no way a thief is going to get it, i also just talked to a friend that is going on this trip and he also said there is a veryu good chance that i will get away with carring it on , again i thank you all so much at the veryt least i now know what to expect, my camera WILL stay with me!!!!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom