Pennyroyal Scuba Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

korbx5

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Am heading up to Hoptown this weekend. According to their website they will be open this weekend. I'll be alone. Was wondering if anyone knew for sure that they would be open, and if so if it was usually (in the middle of November) easy to find someone to dive with? Any ideas are much appreciated:)

Pennyroyal should be open. This weekend is their last weekend of the fall season. Their winter season is done by reservation only & there must be a minimum of 4 divers. As for finding a buddy,... this time of year it can be hit or miss. If they're not super busy, maybe even one of the staff could dive with you. If I weren't going past your way to go to No. FL to finish up my cave diving course, I'd be most happy to buddy up with you. I'm usually there most weekends I'm not working. The best thing I could suggest to you is to give Dennis or Kris Tapp (the owners) a call ahead. The # is 270-887-2585 or e-mail at info@pennyroyalscuba.com . If no answer you can try the other #'s listed on their site. Somewhere else you might be able to possibly find a buddy is to put out a line on the web site of Evansville Scuba Club- Evansville Scuba Club — Home . Pennyroyal s their home base quarry. During the summer months there is almost always someone going down, but at this time of year there are a few hardy divers who go down year round, maybe you can possibly hook up with one of them. Maybe even try to call on one of the shops in the Nashville, TN, Middle TN, Western KY or southern IN area to see if they may be going there, or know of anyone from there going. Hope that helps you out a little bit.

Tammy,

Thanks for your insight. I hope you have a blast in FL. I'm heading up there to be with family for the opening of deer season. Diving would only be icing. I'll throw my gear in and hope for luck. I'll also call the guys at the dive center. My son and I tried to dive the quarry in April but quickly realized we hadn't brought along enough clothing. Won't make the same mistake twice:) Our hunting camp is only 15 miles away, so we'll see. Have a great time.

Mark

My wife and I are headed there Sunday. This is my first time there, do I need to make a reservation or just show up? If you're there Sunday, I will look forward to meeting you and if you need a buddy still we can get wet!

Nope this weekend, you can just show up, as long as you have a buddy or trust to luck to find one (only certified solo divers are allowed to dive solo). If the staff isn't too busy, someone may even be able to show you around. It's been a couple of weeks since I was last there, but then, the water temp to 30ft was about 62 degrees:shocked2:. It has probably dropped a bit since then, so be sure to dress appropriately.

After this weekend, Pennyroyal goes to it's winter schedule. During the wintertime you will need to call a few days ahead & there must be a minimum of 4 divers (total- whether in your group or not) for the quarry to be opened. They do request that if you have to cancel to do so before 24hrs of arrival. Have fun guys!:cool2:

Got the chance to dive last Saturday. Arrived at the store around 10:30 am. Met Chris and Dennis. There was no one else there diving, however, Dennis had one of the fellows from the shop lined up to dive with me. How cool was that! He called Robert and within 25 minutes, he was there. Due to a busted inflator valve on my BCD after surfacing (which could have been disasasterous), we were only allowed to make one splash to 85 feet, but with bottom temp at 45F, being from Georgia I was okay with that. I'm writing this to let others know how nice and accomodating Dennis, Chris, and the staff at Pennyroyal were. The site was well maintaned, and the dive was very nice. Envious that its not closer. Thanks guys!

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom