People diving in BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlazierB

Contributor
Reaction score
As we all know BC, specially the Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island is always been rated as one of the best places to dive in the world... Yet there is more activity in the boards for Ontario... Or for that matter anywhere else in Canada.

Why is this? Are we snobs? Anti-social? Without internet connections?

I've dove all around the Lower Mainland and Island and found there to be small anti-social groups. You have people that won't dive with another because he/she supports <insert name> Dive Store. You have your tech people who don't associate with the "lower class" rec divers.

We should be more of a small brother/sisterhood of divers, supporting each other... I don't care if you have a $20k rebreather on your back or a rented BC from another shop you don't associate with.

This is just my thoughts on the subject...

Any thoughts on this? Experiences?

GlazierB:
You guys spend too much time smoking dope.

JeffG:
You guys spend too much time smoking dope.

We would smoke more if weren't supporting our own diving habits by selling it 3x it's worth to Alberta...

Was a bit surprised an the low level of activity on this board in Vancouver, however have never had problems finding someone to dive with. Pretty much will dive with anyone, have bought stuff at most of the shops around town and have not really noticed the - won't dive with you attitude you are speaking of. Have gone out on a few group dives with shops and found everyone so far to be accommodating. Perhaps I am just clueless - really don't pay much attention to that stuff and not really looking for a social group to hang out with either.

I do find Vancouver people not as social as people from the praries - don't know what it is. probably the long cold winter - have to make your own entertainment inside so you group together. Just a thought.

GlazierB:
...Why is this? Are we snobs? Anti-social? Without internet connections?...

It is strange indeed. Another example of this paradox (great diving, little community) is exemplified by an experience I had this past winter. The Van Aquarium was holding a diver show at the aquarium in support of the BC underwater council. The Alberta Underwater Council was represented by myself and the Executive director of the AUC and the AUC paid for our travel and for the booth. The AUC has an annual operating budget of $100K plus with membership in the hundreds (not all active but still an impressive amount for a prairie province). In contrast the BC council (for what we could see) was basically non-existent and even had to have their booth manned by aquarium staff for most of the weekend.

It's also strange that the AUC has a fairly good track record in presenting "Divescapes", the AUC's semi-bi-anuual dive show. From the BC community...pretty much nothing outside a few efforts by the tech community types like Erika-leigh Haley (Mix 96), Bill Nadeau (that thing in Nanaimo in 2000) and Bill Coltart (his show a year or two later). One would expect that a place like Vancouver would be able to run a show which would be the west coast rival of Beneath the Sea but there is ... nothing. Weird

Are we all just too busy diving and working to support our dive habit while living in an expensive city, perhaps?

I think the snobbery is mostly fiction. I've dove with all levels of divers from many different shops and most seem to be friendly and willing to dive with anyone as long as they're fun and safe and agreeable. I admittedly dive for fun primarily with divers from work, but that's out of convenience and friendship, not elitism.

nessum:
I think the snobbery is mostly fiction. I've dove with all levels of divers from many different shops and most seem to be friendly and willing to dive with anyone as long as they're fun and safe and agreeable. I admittedly dive for fun primarily with divers from work, but that's out of convenience and friendship, not elitism.

Fiction? No...

nadwidny:
It's also strange that the AUC has a fairly good track record in presenting "Divescapes", the AUC's semi-bi-anuual dive show. From the BC community...pretty much nothing outside a few efforts by the tech community types like Erika-leigh Haley (Mix 96), Bill Nadeau (that thing in Nanaimo in 2000) and Bill Coltart (his show a year or two later). One would expect that a place like Vancouver would be able to run a show which would be the west coast rival of Beneath the Sea but there is ... nothing. Weird

This is also another thing I wish I could bring attention too... Tourism has only as of late brought attention to Diving BC. The world knows it's great but here at home... There's NOTHING.

I have friends who come from Alberta to dive here at least half a dozen times a year... They consider it a treat to be here, being in our waters creates a waiting list...

nessum:

Fiction? I am sure I am not the only one to come across some sort of "snobish" reaction from another diver.

GlazierB:
I've dove all around the Lower Mainland and Island and found there to be small anti-social groups.

Welcome to Vancouver, though it has nothing to do with diving.

You have people that won't dive with another because he/she supports <insert name> Dive Store. You have your tech people who don't associate with the "lower class" rec divers.

Hadn't noticed. I've dove with divers from other shops, instructors, rookies, experienced, divers with rebreathers, and never had any problems.

Bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom