Pepper park 06/07/2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orlando Eric

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
TRIP REPORT PEPPER PARK FROM THE YAK

Lately the weather has been turning nasty around 1500 hours with high winds, rain and lighting. I jumped up at the crack of 1100 today so I could get to Pepper Park and get a dive in before the lighting started.

I pulled into the North Parking area and four divers were having their sandwichs and drinks. They dove off a canoe actually a Ghanoe so I knew I'd be okay in the OK.

The loaded yak is pretty heavy with a serious rear balance point. The Wheeleez go almost under the gear well and still it is a little nose heavy. The tires really flattened out with that much weight on it. I am going to get a low pressure gauge and play with the tire pressure later this week to see where I want it. I assume it is 4# now and 8# should make the difference.

The large cart fits into the front hatch jim dandy so you have the cart whenever you decided to go ashore. I rode the wave in today just fine. It was MUCH easier in 1' waves and with the extra 60# pounds in the rear well.

The Vis was about 15' and the temp 77 to 76 degrees. I saw nice Hogfish, many Porkfish, Juvinile drum, Spadefish, very small Yellowtail snapper(guessing) , Large French Angel, Blue Striped Grunt, Juvie Yellow Tail Damsel, A spotted drum, and around 1k blennies / gobys, 1k sea cucumbers, and 5k urchins.

The diving operation from the yak went smoothly. I really need to cut off the bungee and install straps soon though I hate that part. I forgot my flag tether as I float my flag from the rear. I used about 20' of rope I had in my truck. I liked it. I am going to run it this way from now on as a tag line. The current was fairly stiff and the yak could be pulled but I decided to just float north and paddle south later.

The three pound anchor seems just right for this yak diving 15' with 25' of line. IT could use long line but this works. In the future I am going to surface store my gear then free dive mask only for the anchor THEN get back on board. I had my sunglasses, hat and water bottle out then learned the anchor was dead fast. I masked up and easily got it W/O fins but it was sisscored in there.

I liked this rig and in the future plan to do lots more diving like this. I picked up a few sea biscuits and DID NOT bring back a small ballast stone I found around the third reef line because that would be wrong. :blinking:

NO LOBSTERS seen?? It was overcast though and I did not have a light. Just as I got back it began raining. As I drove over the bridge lighting started hitting.. I have good timing.

See ya next time at the beach-- come dive at the Historic training area of the First Navy SEALS---

Nice report!

Dove it on Wednesday...vis 15, water temp near 80

Eric,

We need to plan a day (I only have weekends off) when I'm not teaching and go yak diving. I need to learn... I've only tried mine out in a lake so far... I haven't tried the ocean... yet..

Al

Let's do it on a Sunday!

AL -- The major difference is the effect the waves have on the YAK. I found three footers wash over the front and into open hatches. If you are reaching for stuff off balance a small wave will flip you.

I learned the key to it yesterday though. STAY LOW. Crawl tummy down to the front hatch and you are more stable. I even put my two piece suit on by laying on my back. Leash everything then who cares if it flips... just flip it back.

Bilge pump and sponge are great tools. I barely got 4 cups of water in it yesterday. I found it easier to put on mask and fins, anchor and then swim around the yak to get my stuff out. I did not take my shiney new spear out and there comes a nice hogfish and several sheepshead although I am not sure you can spear sheeps head.... well you CAN but I am not sure how legal it is.

I forgot to add.. I also saw a nice live conch. I also found an area with MANY crab shells and bivalve shells lying around?? I was thinking there might be an Octpuss around but did not find one -- I seeing where a GPS would be handy I would have liked to return to that area for a more through search with a light.

Great report. I went out on Sunday too. Took about 120 pictures and a few videos. Had a blast. Still waiting on the GPS to arrive.

and the link to the 120 pictures and videos is -------? WE wanna SEE..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom