Pepper Park, Ft. Pierce 6/14/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Took the kids snorkeling at Inlet Park today and thought you would like a vis report. Flat calm and 15-20 ft vis right off the beach. Lets hope it holds for awhile.

Trip Report: 6-14-09

Beautiful out there today! Water was clean and clear with 25'+ visibility. Cold thermo below 10', minor surge on bottom. Saw a few turtles, one was missing a rear flipper, 3 HUGE stingrays, two green morays, plenty of tropicals, even another kayak diver out there! We did more of a barge dive then a kayak dive- I swam the whole time and towed a tired, rookie shore diver. Came across a ginormous wrung-out lobster head, it was not a molt and was still fresh; someone got it today, see pictures. I covertly asked some kids on the beach if they seen lobsters and right away they told be about this beast lobster they found earlier in the day. I mentioned the head and they got real quiet... sounds like BS to me, but what can you do??

Nice seeing you Orlando Eric and Curt (diving empt).
Check out pics and creature footage from the day. Cant wait to do it again!!

Attachments

• PICT1008.jpg
    PICT1008.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 50
  • PICT1015.jpg
    PICT1015.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 53
  • PICT1012.jpg
    PICT1012.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 60
  • PICT1003.jpg
    PICT1003.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 48
  • PICT1010.jpg
    PICT1010.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 43
Wish I could have been...but I had a class in Ft Lauderdale this weekend. Anyway we had a great time, 4 good dives and 3 newly certified dives!

Steve,

Thanks for setting that up. What a difference a few hundred feet make because we didn't see any turtles, rays, or eels. And I was all over and under the ledges looking, for I was sure I would find at least an eel. We went just north where the lobster head was before we turned back, which was just south of you.

The picture you posted doesn't serve justice to the size of that lobster, that guy was HUGE.

It was good meeting you and Eric. We'll have to plan something else soon.

d-e

Great day.. flat .. awesome vis but it was COLD. I dove Boyton Beach Saturday 65' with NO wetsuit at 81 degrees. It was like 75 degrees in 18' Sunday..

I did not see any of the big fishes this trip. They saw a bunch and some barracuda as well. I was looking at all the baby fishes. I saw a group of baby porkfish and did not realize what they were until I saw them swimming next to an adult then it was obvious.

My Wheeleez were flat and I blew them up off my Reg that was quite the feat giving the 4 to eight pounds of PSI they take..

Several divers in the area and a few boats. I am still tweaking my Yak rig but I found I really like towing my flag 20 feet to the rear as a tag line. I also found it easier to get my gear on and off the yak from the water then on the yak. Set the anchor on ascent and when down to swim trunks and mask free dive it to bring it back.

Lobster season is right around the corner I am hoping to have to save for a bigger freezer.

I saw a bunch of baby barracuda when I dove there last week. They were only about an inch long and looked just like miniature adults

cudachaster -- Baby Barracuda would be fun to sell to people for their salt water aquariums-- what a surprise they'd be getting...

Yeah they were hanging out just off the middle lifeguard station on the 2nd set of ledges. I'm going to try to get back there this week...weather is so perfect

Steve -- Your video is a great representation of what I have seen at Pepper Park with the absennce of large BullSharks in the winter. Pepper park has great diving and not many divers make the dive. The State Record lobsters are taken from this area in 16' feet of water. Little Jim Bridge has a low profile lobster contest amoungst local divers where they wiegh in 9 to 15 3/4# lobsters every year. A good light an LONG pole are needed to catch them but they are there.

Belated photos from the event

Kayak Rigged to Roll
5160_1072746100864_1292508556_30169011_5461678_n.jpg

Scuba Steve
5160_1072745980861_1292508556_30169008_5460432_n.jpg

Wheeleez strapped down everything leashed.
5160_1072746060863_1292508556_30169010_7912570_n.jpg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom