Perdix CEIL, does it take into account the estimated off-gassing on ascent (with an assumed ascent rate)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogerdd

Registered
Reaction score
The deco stops will kick off once NDL goes below 0 (meaning SurfGF is > GFHi, or more precisely shouldn’t it actually be:
‘GF99 if immediately starting surfacing at an estimated ascent rate > GFHi’ as NDL does take into account off-gassing during the ascent?).

When NDL goes below 0, some deco stops are now required but these stops can clear automatically before reaching them (due to the off-gassing happening in real time while ascending at a rate different from the estimated ascent rate, for example different from 10m/min).

On top of the discrete deco stops that are multiples of 3m, there’s a CEIL depth which is the non-rounded minimun depth below which we must stay (as per the model, and based on the pre-defined GFLo for the first stop and GFHi).

-> I assume this CEIL, like SurfGF but unlike NDL, doesn’t take into account the off-gassing that will happen while ascending from current depth to that CEIL value? And that is why we can have a ceiling with NDL > 0 (and no stop)?

More simply, perhaps:
1. Do the NDL calculations assume any depth changes? (E.g., an ascent)
2. Do the CEIL calculations assume any depth changes?
3. If both of those are no, then would you agree that NDL ticking over from 1 to 0 corresponds to the ceiling going above 0? Meaning you cannot have a ceiling (above 0) while NDL is nonzero.

Hey @inquis, I forgot I first posted here before starting the other thread (which you participated in) and I cannot delete it here.

Yes I totally agree with this logic and I agree with you on 3.
I would even say that 3. is also true if both 1. and 2. are yes (with same ascent rate)

In practice, and with Shearwater computers, my guess is that 2. is NO, but the question is open for 1. (I would have answered YES, and assuming an ascent rate of 10m/min)

I haven’t got an answer from their customer service yet. If I could I would give them a call but their opening hours is the middle of the night for me…

Usually they are quick to respond to emails, but you might send a follow-up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom