Perdix & Deco time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys, I have a new Perdix ai and have been using an Eon Core. We are going on a scuba trip to the Cayman Islands in January.

This trip will be my first dive with my brand new Perdix ai. I will be diving air in open circuit mode. I am Nitrox certified but do not anticipate diving Nitrox.

Question for those in the know. Should I leave the GF in default mode or leave as is?

I have been diving my core at the most aggressive setting.

Thanks in advance

Glenn

Perhaps also display SurfGF and make it your BFF

Yes, OC Rec is 45/85 and apparently medium conservatism and you cannot change it.

I don't understand. What do you mean you cannot change it? In Rec mode there are 3 consevative settings. Low, medium and high. The user can easily select any of those preset settings. It ships in medium. Based on your diving you can select otherwise. Their low settings roughly matches the default of conventional Rec computers on the 1st dive at least.
There is no need to go into Tec mode if you are just a rec diver. In fact their last update gives the user the ability to do custom GF in Rec mode, IF they have the knowledge to do so.

It really is an easy computer to use. Running through the manual would help. Go to their site and look for the manual on Rec-Nitrox mode. This deals with Recreational Mode.

Question for those in the know. Should I leave the GF in default mode or leave as is?

:popcorn:

I know, that is why I will leave it in its current default mode. I just saw the new firmware update. I am currently in Argentina and will update my firmware when I get home. I did not get a chance to use mine that much but have read the manual and the new firmware stuff for GF settings in REC OC mode.

Thanks
Glenn

I don't understand. What do you mean you cannot change it? In Rec mode there are 3 consevative settings. Low, medium and high. The user can easily select any of those preset settings. It ships in medium. Based on your diving you can select otherwise. Their low settings roughly matches the default of conventional Rec computers on the 1st dive at least.
There is no need to go into Tec mode if you are just a rec diver. In fact their last update gives the user the ability to do custom GF in Rec mode, IF they have the knowledge to do so.

It really is an easy computer to use. Running through the manual would help. Go to their site and look for the manual on Rec-Nitrox mode. This deals with Recreational Mode.
Hi Fastmarc,

I can confirm your post regarding adjusting GF in Rec mode. I just did it. And yes, I do have the custom option in Rec-Nitrox Mode. "It really is an easy computer to use." For sure Fastmarc.

While using my Oceanic running DSAT while diving EANx 32, and my Perdix AI on medium GF, I am not running out of NDL on either computer. We were limited to one hour dives and they were muliti level with a slow ascent up the reef to a safety stop at 20 and 10 feet. We were as deep as 85-90 fsw while diving with air divers in our group. My two computers were not appreciably different in their nitrogen loading metrics on any dive, first or last.

Mrs. Shearwater (pseudonym) taught me how to change GF in Rec-nitrox mode in about a minute.

Do that (dive nitrox that is; added by mm for context)! Probably the single most effective way to improve safety. Obviously respect the MOD and take care if doing the wall dives.

Nitrox is a no brainer for me. I am spending thousands on a vacation and then I am going to go cheap on a very effective insurance policy for recreational divers? No way!

@Wookie has data from Spree that is almost other-worldly. He mandated all divers dive nitrox and his chamber visits for his guests went to zero. He was talking about thousands of dives over many years.

Just belly up to the nitrox bar and order the good gas. It tastes better!

cheers,
m

I know, that is why I will leave it in its current default mode. I just saw the new firmware update. I am currently in Argentina and will update my firmware when I get home.

Wise move: if the update resets your conservatism, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole mid-trip. Who know what else it wipes out, your accumulated loading, your O2%?

As for the settings, this is not a legal advice, don't try this at home, yadda yadda yadda: If it were me I'd go between 70/70 and 85/85, maybe 95/95 if I wanted to emulate DSAT. (And I do think Shearwater rec presets are verkakte.)

The Teric also has custom GF in rec mode along with the 3 presets, I assumed Perdix had this too

EDIT: sorry, I see this has been answered

Back
Top Bottom