Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the short version: Let's say a ghost is hell-bent on ruining your week while you're 110' deep on the ocean floor. What's the worst they could do to you / your equipment without it being an ironclad death sentence? And how would you manage to survive? I'm envisioning a simple, legible sabotage -- e.g., valves stuck open or closed / hoses or bladders punctured / flood, leak, or free-flow / entanglement, etc. -- but take the prompt any direction you please. It could be loud and in-your-face...or silent and sneaky.)

Yes, a dive to 110' is open to broad interpretation. Maybe it's a deco dive, maybe not. Depending on the timing, a quick ascent to the surface may or may not incur a gnarly DCS hit. You decide. Whatever alphabet soup describes your kit -- CCR, OC, FFM, BCS, BOV, DIR (joking, I think), etc. -- I want to hear what you would fear.

Thank you so much for any and all guidance you can offer! Hopefully you get something out of this too. An exercise in vigilance and preparedness, perhaps?

110ft open water?

I dive with redundant buoyancy, air, and cutting-devices on EVERY dive. If I'm planning a deeper dive, I'll try to bring 2-flashlights, and may have 2 computers. I have spare masks, but usually don't bring them, because losing a mask is an annoyance, but wouldn't kill me. Losing a fin would be a severe annoyance too, but not kill me. I dive in ZERO vis often, so that's never an issue.

The only things I can think of are:
  • For severe entanglement, it would take a lot given I dive with redundant air, but you are using air much faster at 110ft than my average dive (60ft). I currently dive with some beastly shears, which could handle ropes, many other things, but not thick steel cables. I'd probably be fine in nearly all cases, but it's always possible I get a steel cable wrapped around me in zero viz.
  • Dangerous wildlife or currents aren't a thing where I normally dive.
  • Passing out or Bad air are probably the most dangerous, though probably relatively unlikely. I need to get more consistent with CO testing. I do have a regulator-necklace on my primary, which I can tighten, so it's entirely possible I could survive a temporary loss of consciousness. Unexpected health issues like a heart-attack while scuba-diving might kill me, but it might just kill me regardless of scuba
  • Getting severely narced and doing something stupid. I generally follow a rule of taking my time, especially if I'm not feeling 100%.
For other details, I either dive SideMount, with either 2 full sized tanks, or 1x AL80 and 1x AL19. For 110ft, I'd do 2x full size. My redundant bouyancy is a lift-bag or DSMB. My cutting-devices are 2x "line cutters" that fit nicely on 2-inch webbing on the shoulders, and then I added 10-inch shears lately to make dealing with anchor-rope EASY.

edit: I misread your post. You're looking for something to use in a story. I'll have to think about that one.

True ghost story...

It seemed Chris scared a ghost.
That's a funny story.

Although, I have to say the idea of pulling pranks while scuba-diving reminds me of NASTY scars I got because someone thought they'd prank me, and the prank didn't go as they planned. Just saying, I hope other people aren't getting ideas for funny pranks they can pull on other scuba-divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom