Perforated ear drum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hongrace

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how it is like when you have perforated your ear drum on diving? I had my first dive after 2 months yesterday. On descent I had difficulty in equalising my left ear. I had to blow hard a few times and eventually I could descend to 15m (45ft). The first dive was uneventful. On descent of the 2nd dive, same thing happened and it is event more painful than first dive. I had to stop my buddy and myself for about a minute to blow my ear. Then it was ok and we continued the dive.

I didn't have any problem with equalising before nor any ear problem I know of. Right now, after checking on SB and reading sign and symptoms of perforated ear drum, i suspect i may have one. It still more difficult to pop the left ear. And if pops, it gives some dull crumbling/cracking noise first then pop (sometimes no pop at all, just noise), while the good right ear is a clean squeak. But other than that, no pain, no fluid, leaking air sound. I know I should see a doctor to check but I am out of town right now and won't be back in civilisation in about a week's time. If it is not perforated ear drum, I might try a couple of more dives. Thank you.

Can someone tell me how it is like when you have perforated your ear drum on diving? I had my first dive after 2 months yesterday. On descent I had difficulty in equalising my left ear. I had to blow hard a few times and eventually I could descend to 15m (45ft). The first dive was uneventful. On descent of the 2nd dive, same thing happened and it is event more painful than first dive. I had to stop my buddy and myself for about a minute to blow my ear. Then it was ok and we continued the dive.

I didn't have any problem with equalising before nor any ear problem I know of. Right now, after checking on SB and reading sign and symptoms of perforated ear drum, i suspect i may have one. It still more difficult to pop the left ear. And if pops, it gives some dull crumbling/cracking noise first then pop (sometimes no pop at all, just noise), while the good right ear is a clean squeak. But other than that, no pain, no fluid, leaking air sound. I know I should see a doctor to check but I am out of town right now and won't be back in civilisation in about a week's time. If it is not perforated ear drum, I might try a couple of more dives. Thank you.

If you have a perforated ear drum, you will have a painless albeit slightly cold sensation in your ear while diving. There will be no popping or cracking as there is nothing to pop or crack. What you have is a very bruised tympanic membrane (ie. ear drum) and in fact this is why you should AVOID diving further until it heals. If you had a burst ear drum, go right ahead and dive. It'll pose no problem. Just remember to rinse/clean out your ear thoroughly to prevent future infection.

Hi popje,

Thank you for your reply. I skipped diving today. When you said "very bruised tympanic membrane", what does it actually mean and what causes it? How long does it take to heal? 6 weeks?

It may not be perforated, but it sounds like you have irritated it to the point where you risk perforating it or worse if you dive again before it's healed.

If you had a burst ear drum, go right ahead and dive. It'll pose no problem. Just remember to rinse/clean out your ear thoroughly to prevent future infection.

This is extremely imprudent advice. Diving with a perforated eardrum poses an increased risk of infection, and rinsing it out thoroughly won't help.

If you had a burst ear drum, go right ahead and dive. It'll pose no problem. Just remember to rinse/clean out your ear thoroughly to prevent future infection.

This is completely inaccurate and potentially dangerous. Please do not do this. Not sure if this was an attempt at sarcasm?

The bottom line is that there is no way that you can rule out an eardrum perforation without a good examination by someone who knows what they are doing, possibly after cleaning out the earwax to see the entire eardrum.

Internet forums - while often helpful and educational - can never be a substitute for an exam in this sort of situation.

Safe diving!

Mike

I ended my dive yesterday for the same reason. My 1st dive, I didn't have any trouble clearing. During my descent on the 2nd dive I cleared at 2 foot, which was a little tough to do. Then again at 5 foot, after that I couldn't get my right ear to clear. So I called the dive and went to the dock.

After 15 minutes out of the water. I tried to use drops in my ear the relieve the blockage, that caused nothing but pain. 24 hours later my ear is still muffled and when I clear it now I have a leak of air coming from it. Which to me indicates a perforation.

Back
Top Bottom