Performance loss regulator with long hose setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We should have an offical thread for all the BS that dive shop employee's have spouted in their "position of authority" as advisors to many divers.

I have no exact science backing me up on this but, I dive an mk17/ 6'hose /and G250and am here to post that it didn't kill me .
Get the 5' or 7' hose , dive it and be happy and enjoy the very nice new toy that you just got.
Jim Breslin

We should have an offical thread for all the BS that dive shop employee's have spouted in their "position of authority" as advisors to many divers.

Now this is a good idea. It could be a convenient place to turn to when you're in dire need of a chuckle. Here's one to add; a tech at a LDS once told me that the IP should be lower on a MK2 than on other SP 1st stages because "that little reg can't handle the high IP"

Well, I think you probably get the idea but I thought I'd chime in: Like DA Aquamaster, I did commercial work, often with a hookah rig of 50' or 100'. Never had a problem in over ten years. Your shop owner is mistaken in this case.

Thanks for all the info guys.

It's appreciated... I'll get the 5 or 7 foot hose (not decided yet on what length) and I'll be on my merry (diving) way :D

We've also used very long intermediate pressure hoses, for oxygen delivered from the surface to 10, 20 and 30 stops as well as 100' hoses from an underwater habitat. No problem breathing in either case. Great idea about the "LDS employee said ..." thread.

beester:
I'll get the 5 or 7 foot hose (not decided yet on what length) and I'll be on my merry (diving) way
Oooh, oooh, be sure and post that question - you will get lots of opinions and, unlike this one, I suspect they will not be in uniform agreement. :wink:

OK, to be honest, there have already been several recent threads on that specific subject so a good search my provide some useful information as you make you decision.

I can't imagine the small volume of the hose has much of an accumulator affect given the volume of air moving on demand.

I can't imagine the small volume of the hose has much of an accumulator affect given the volume of air moving on demand.
Well....yes and no. Volume wise, you are taking a very small volume and making it only slightly bigger. But since the volume of the intermediate air passages of the average first stage, including the second stage hose, the inflator hose and the hose for the octo are still fairly small, doubling or tripling the lenght of the primary hose still adds a significant percentage to the total volume.

The difference in volume can be roughly measured just by turing off your air and seeing how many full and partial breathes breaths you get with the short hose and then the long hose attached. It can be measured much more accurately in terms of IP drop and recovery with the needle swing on an IP gauge during and after inhalation.

The difference will be there, but the difference also will not amount to a noticeable increase in performamnce.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom