Personification of our gear AKA Naming it!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4sak3n

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We humans have this disconcerting habit of personifying things which have sentimental value to us. The easiest and best example of this is how we name our cars, boats, guns and other inanimate objects.

As divers, we have a very special attachment to our gear. For one thing: it keeps us alive!!! And for another: it is very expensive. Usually when we spend more money on something we tend to get quite attached to it ... if only to validate our expensive purchase. So I am pretty sure that some of us name our gear.

I call my computer Halle. Geddit? :D Female version of HAL ... (I am such a geek!)

Still thinking up a name for my bp/w. Needs to be something sexy!

So what do you guys name your gear? Lets hear some good ones!

Hmmm, never thought of naming my gear. Heck most of the time I can't even remember what brand it is let alone the model, I'd probably forget the name too. Forgot my husband's name once during an introduction, THAT was a little awkward :rolleyes: (telling the person my pet name for him didn't seem appropriate but it was the only name I could remember)
Ber :lilbunny:

haven't named my bc as yet. my motorcycle is named serenity. i was wanting to name her jane but my wife would get real pissed when she figured out i named her after my ex. she wouldn't be happy with me saying i was out riding jane.

The only inanimate possession that I can remember naming is my .450 Ackley hunting rifle. It's called "Buster". Other than that I call my old orange cat "Leo". That's it.

I don't name my dive gear. It wouldn't really make sense, anyway. My gear is more of a collective from which I can reconstitute an entity appropriate for the conditions.

It's a bit of a cross between the Borg (when they were *real* Borg, i.e. pre-Queen) and the Great Link.

(I don't suppose I just out-geeked 4sak3n, now, did I? :biggrin:)

I know many divers who put names on their double tanks. "Scotch" & "Soda" and "Port" & "Starboard" come to mind. I know one diver who has "Rigor" & "Mortis" lettered on his tanks. He is an undertaker.

The only inanimate possession that I can remember naming is my .450 Ackley hunting rifle. It's called "Buster".

Nice, was that rifle built by Ackley or chambered by someone else. Just curious, I got a couple of his books.

I named my pony Dave after Hurley's imaginary friend in the mental ward on "Lost"

I don't name my dive gear. It wouldn't really make sense, anyway. My gear is more of a collective from which I can reconstitute an entity appropriate for the conditions.

It's a bit of a cross between the Borg (when they were *real* Borg, i.e. pre-Queen) and the Great Link.

(I don't suppose I just out-geeked 4sak3n, now, did I? :biggrin:)

Out-geeked ... ack! :duck:

Now we just need to get TSandM to post here with her fetching avatar and we'll have some Queeny-goodness.

Naming a bp/w after the Founders would be an awesome idea because of its modularity. Hmmm ... *strokes chin thoughtfully*

Hmm, I never thought of naming my dive gear. My first car I called the "Surfmobile", but no other names. The only thing I really named, is something I am not sure is appropiate on the board, lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom