Pet peeves of SCUBA diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People who want to chat underwater. When I have to spend 15 min trying to figure out (from hand signals) that my new found "buddy" likes the blue fish but does't care for the red one .......

Divers who destroy what I go underwater to see. Wreck divers who take part of the wreck. People to destroy the coral through inattention, lack of skill, or design. Oh yea, people who hate.

I hate people who hate.

People whose very identity can only be defined by the peeves, grudges and misconceptions that they maintain.

People who like to complain about the inevitable, the trivial and the fixable. People who just like to complain.

Whiners, Whingers and Big Girls Blouses make the world a more miserable place for the rest of us. As my open water teacher used to shout - 'HTFU'.

Then that means you hate lots of people who has posted here, then. I only used the word "hate" once because it makes it hard for this new diver to find dive buddies on my own dive level.

Probably, it's easier for you to have any grudges on anything because you are so experienced. Or probably you like to dive alone and you probably are a rich guy who can earn all the best cards money can buy. Probably you are not man enough to admit that there is a pet peeve you have and not list it and rather bash on the divers who posted here.

Pet peeve and hate are two different things. Pet peeve is an annoyance. Hate is a harsh word.

As a new diver I do learn each day and keep an open mind and treat each coming dive just finding dive buddies is quite difficult right now.

I don't know what to say about this, other than it's sad you've had run-in's with negative people and taken these experiences to heart. I really don't have any pet-peeves about diving.

I posted this down in the Cozumel forum but maybe it should posted here. . .

Our Dives 11/29/08 (here's the actual thread-->Hired a Videographer)

What's in that video is the reason I learned to dive. And every time I do I forget about all of the other unfortunate encounters that may have happened along the way. And I don't hate to say it, but enjoying those dives is do in large part to the experienced divers that took the time to help guide me in the learning process. . . From my OW instructor, to DM's, to fellow divers I met, and yes-to this board, it's all helped me learn. Now I'm able to to spend more time focused on the dive and not the mechanics of diving.

To be honest with you I meet majority of the negative people here in scubaboard, a local dive shop, or a sliver of it during scuba diving. I may take it to heart because I haven't found many great memories to replace the negative stuff just yet. You should have heard about my OW experience when I was stationed in Okinawa which in short the OW instructor ran off with my money and no formal OW certification. The next one was when I wanted to use my own snorkel gear in my OW certification in a local dive shop and been yelled and belittled me because I had my own snorkel gear and refused to buy theirs. What am I supposed to do, you know? It's hard for me to smile and say everything is peachy. Other than that fishOutUvH2O, I am doing my best to make things go well with me.

Hmmmm....pet peeves of diving...

I get a wee bit annoyed when other divers crowd my "gear setting up space", mainly because I'm afraid of getting my gear lost among other's gear (all black neoprene stuff kinda looks alike LOL) but then I remember that I probably don't need to be taking up half the table LOL

I get annoyed when I see people silting up the dive site, to the point where I've got to swim through zero viz silt clouds, then I recall my last dive, where I dragged my can light cord through the silt, made knee prints in the bottom, and in general, created a mess (hey, it happens...it was a "learning experience" :D )

Every one has pet peeves, and sometimes peope tell me how particular I am when I'm working on the ambulance, but it helps to remember that we were all brand new at this once, and just a fairly short while ago, I was the one who silted up the entire dive site, went through half an AL80 on a 30 min dive to 40 ft, and in generaly, made a nuisance of myself :D

However, what really boils my teakettle, is when people refuse to listen to sound advice. They sure as hell don't have to take it, but it annoys me when they completey blow off advice meant to help keep them safe (bigken462, and mwhities..yes, I know the irony in this statement).

Allright, back to my lurking....

I had a pet peeve once, but it ran away. Diving is like skiing and sex, some times its better then others, but it's never really bad. Nothing bugs me enough to ruin a dive. Even the most egotistical, opinionated, self-appointed expert can be a source of significant amusement if you keep a positive attitude.

:dancingsnoopy:My glass is more than half full!:dancingsnoopy: My ocean is full of fish!
If I get to dive it is a great day. If I get back it was a great dive! The only thing worse than having to go to work .... is not having a job or not being able to work!

Every day you wake up is a celebration.

pet peeve.... platitudes.... people that can't spell people with glasses that are always nearly empty

Dive shops that don't open till 10 or 11 am.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom