Peter Hughes Cancels Galapagos trips after August 1st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Scared silly,

nice post, I guess that is one very reasonable perspective. When I contacted DivEncounters that was not the impression I got regarding Capital as the boat owner had been in business for several years and operates 3 other expedition boats in Galapagos under Ecoventura (I found them on Google). The impression I got was that they could not "hold" a large amount of space for the boat from a booking agency they were no longer contractually bound without a financial commitment. Made sense to me as how would you garuantee that the booking agency wouldn't drop that space last minute. I guess I looked at it from my reservation in that they would not confirm my reservation without a deposit. Seemed fair and logical to me. Lots of different ways to look at this and all valid opinions.

Happy Diving...

I am guessing that PH/Aggressor is not turning over the deposits or who is booked on sailings. Galapagos Sky IMHO needs to go on the offensive telling clients they need to contact them to re-confirm bookings. Understand PH not wanting to turn over deposits and trying to save business for their group but given how far out you have to book these trips they should turn over names and contacts for people holding reservations after Aug 1st. Just my 2 cents worth.

If PH/Aggressor was the booking agent they would have no reason to provide the boat with the names of the passengers until right before sailing... even in the ordinary course of events.

The "problem" DivEncounters requested all deposits from PHD/Aggressor otherwise the reservations would be canceled. This request goes against PHD/Aggressor company policy and have notified customers as to the "problem".

Hi Scared silly,

nice post, I guess that is one very reasonable perspective. When I contacted DivEncounters that was not the impression I got regarding Capital as the boat owner had been in business for several years and operates 3 other expedition boats in Galapagos under Ecoventura (I found them on Google). The impression I got was that they could not "hold" a large amount of space for the boat from a booking agency they were no longer contractually bound without a financial commitment. Made sense to me as how would you garuantee that the booking agency wouldn't drop that space last minute. I guess I looked at it from my reservation in that they would not confirm my reservation without a deposit. Seemed fair and logical to me. Lots of different ways to look at this and all valid opinions.

Happy Diving...

Agreed with above. This is probably partially about money in and of itself. It's also partially about the leverage that a company has once they are in possession of a client's deposit. PHD/A would want to keep the deposits in order to try to get the customer onto one of their boats instead of Sky, so they can make a profit (this is not evil, its what they do for a living). Sky, of course, would want the deposits so they can keep those clients committed to their boat.

It's also about privacy and ethics. Whether it may or may not have been clear to the customers, the business relationship between PHD/A and the boat owners has changed. That relationship determines the conditions under which customers chose to do business with PHD/A. PHD/A cannot in good conscience simply turn over customer's monies and information under the new conditions. It's probably not practical to explain the new conditions and get answers from every customer regarding what they want to do. So offering full refunds or fee-less changes is the best they can do.

Based on the above posts, it sounds like PHD/Ag and Sky are handling things as well as can be expected. Cheers to them both.

Seems to be driven by money as many posters above have stated.

I was able to contact PHD/A today and they confirmend that because I am paid in full that my reservation on Galapagos Sky is solid and that my reservation was not returned. Must also be the reason I did not receive the email from PHD telling me my trip was in peril. As it looks today, I am a go for August 1st.

When I was on the Star Dancer (PNG) back in April, the fleet captain was on board and he knows of the relationship between President Wayne Hasson (Aggressor Fleet) and Peter Hughes as well. Apparently (for whatever reason) they've always been very competitive and will not even be seen in the same photo together.

I'm very curious as to Peter Hughes' motivation for wanting to work for a company that only has one boat - seems like an odd change to me. I wonder if him and the owner Wayne Brown had a disagreement about something. Because now Wayne Hasson is the President of both companies. It seems like another step closer to having the Dancer Fleet and Aggressor Fleet become the same company - either way - they are my liveaboard of choice.

Apparently (for whatever reason) they've always been very competitive and will not even be seen in the same photo together.

Guess no one told Wayne (far left) and Peter (second from right)...

board_dema2008.jpg

:d

When I was on the Star Dancer (PNG) back in April, the fleet captain was on board and he knows of the relationship between President Wayne Hasson (Aggressor Fleet) and Peter Hughes as well. Apparently (for whatever reason) they've always been very competitive and will not even be seen in the same photo together.

Perhaps when he told you that, he didn't expect it to be posted on a public scuba diving forum. I certainly hope it wasn't in confidence, because if it was, you just threw him under the bus by posting his thoughts about his boss(es).

Agreed with other posters about the one boat thing. I've never met PH, but I've known enough entrepreneurs that enjoy the business-building cycle so much that they're constantly offloading a business they've developed and starting from scratch again. That could be PH's sole motivation.

Regardless, as long as Aggressor/PH and Mr Hughes' new company continue as they have, I'm happy to continue being a customer.

$0.02

Perhaps when he told you that, he didn't expect it to be posted on a public scuba diving forum. I certainly hope it wasn't in confidence, because if it was, you just threw him under the bus by posting his thoughts about his boss(es).

Agreed with other posters about the one boat thing. I've never met PH, but I've known enough entrepreneurs that enjoy the business-building cycle so much that they're constantly offloading a business they've developed and starting from scratch again. That could be PH's sole motivation.

Regardless, as long as Aggressor/PH and Mr Hughes' new company continue as they have, I'm happy to continue being a customer.

$0.02

Well I was proven wrong about the photo thing......as for whether I was told in confidence, I don't think that was the case. Apparently this information was not a secret. I also will continue to be a loyal customer to both liveaboard fleets.

Well I was proven wrong about the photo thing......as for whether I was told in confidence, I don't think that was the case. Apparently this information was not a secret. I also will continue to be a loyal customer to both liveaboard fleets.

Fair enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom