Petrel 1 Would Not Link Via Bluetooth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I recently tried to update my firmware on my Petrel I. I watched the videos and downloaded the Shearwater Decktop program to my computer. But I was having a lot of difficulties linking the Petrel to the Decktop program (my computer) via the Bluetooth mode. The two just weren't talking to each other.

I looked for answers on Shearwater's website in the FAQ but there was nothing there. I tested my Bluetooth connection on other equipment and they all did link up so I was pretty sure it was not my personal computer. I called Shearwater directly and the receptionist said the engineer was in a meeting so I left a voice mail...that to this day has gone unanswered for several weeks now and I really don't except to hear from them. Since I have had the Petrel for three years with the same software and loving it I was content to just keep using it as I purchased it. The "new" Nitrox Rec mode looked interesting to me, especially since I am not doing any tech diving right now. But I was content with the original software...that is what I bought.

So last weekend I was getting a low battery indication so I replaced my battery. For some reason I decided to try the Firmware Update again and what do ya know...the Petrel and my PC linked up. I loaded new software on my Petrel and downloaded my dives into the desktop, then re watched the videos with the new firmware features...again. Things were looking pretty darn good.

Today I tried the new Rec Nitrox mode out on two dives, 112' Max Depth and 95' Max Depth. The Petrel and firmware worked awesome...

The Petrel....still my favorite. :)

I'm sorry that no one got back to you. I am looking into it.

While there is no excuse for not returning a phone message, I suggest using email as well. Many people look at our main email info at shearwater.com and we have better tracking on emails.

As you have discovered, the Bluetooth module on the Petrel 1 works better with a fresh battery. I have asked tech support to add this to our website FAQ.

Bruce

I'm sorry that no one got back to you. I am looking into it.

While there is no excuse for not returning a phone message, I suggest using email as well. Many people look at our main email info at shearwater.com and we have better tracking on emails.

As you have discovered, the Bluetooth module on the Petrel 1 works better with a fresh battery. I have asked tech support to add this to our website FAQ.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce for the apology...I greatly appreciate it. Who knows...they might have tried to call me back and just missed me. Even though I am in the Marshall Islands my phone number is an 805 area code...so they could have thought the number was in California and with the time differences just called before I got to work. No worries...

Anyways I am a happy camper and love my Petrel.

On on a different note. Today as I was first using the Rec Mode I was thinking how this screen will be nice to show my Open Water students. The large screen makes the Safety Stop, NDL, Dive Time and Depth easy to see...great to show new students while underwater.

Reactions: Jax
Glad everything worked out...I keep a fresh battery near my computer for downloads (the Petrel really doesn't like anything but a fresh battery when downloading).

Glad everything worked out...I keep a fresh battery near my computer for downloads (the Petrel really doesn't like anything but a fresh battery when downloading).

THANK YOU!

I found this after spending a couple of very frustrating hours of no connection. Even when the batteries on both my and my wife's computer showed at least 3/4 full, no dice.

Changed the battery to a new one, BAM! done!

On on a different note. Today as I was first using the Rec Mode I was thinking how this screen will be nice to show my Open Water students. The large screen makes the Safety Stop, NDL, Dive Time and Depth easy to see...great to show new students while underwater.

Today I did the Deep Dive and Wreck Dive for an AOW student. He is 68 and when we compared dive computers at depth he really liked the large screen; the screen was bright and large font easy to see compared to his Zoop. He was diving air and I was using the local EAN28 mix. The Petrel's Rec mode made comparing NDLs and depths very easy. I think I will enjoy using my Petrel as a teaching aid... :)

I also found that sometimes the auto update for the bluetooth driver changes the device type and I have to change back to the generic driver to get it to link.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom