phenylephrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

russ

Reaction score
we will be using enriched air (nitrox) next week. our plan is to not use the psuedophedrine we usualy use to help with the ears since psuedophedrine is a cns stimulant. hopefully we will be able to "clear the ears" without any problems. If unable I have been considering phenylephrine (probably with guanifenisin). phenylephrine should be a bit less of a cns stimulant and less likely to lower the siezure threshold. Anyone thoughts?

Howdy russ:

Good question. Your line of reasoning is probably correct. I'm not aware of any studies specifically looking at phenylephrine and diving, but it is generally considered to be a relatively weak central nervous system (CNS) stimulant. Phenylephrine and pseudoephedrine (eg Sudafed) are both in the same family of decongestant drugs, but I suspect that phenylephrine has less CNS effect. Pseudoephedrine is used more commonly by divers, but that's probably because it's available over-the-counter (OTC) whereas oral phenylephrine is generally by prescription in the US.

Besides being generally (exclusively?) by prescription in the US, a problem with oral phenylephrine is that it usually comes combined with other medications in the pill. Chlorpheniramine is an antihistamine that is frequently combined with phenylephrine, and it can be sedating. Phenylpropanolamine is another decongestant in the phenylephrine family of drugs that is sometimes found in the same pill. It also probably has less CNS effect than pseudoephedrine, but when you combine it with phenylephrine, I don't know that you gain any margin of safety for nitrox diving over pseudoephedrine alone.

Phenylephrine is also available as a nasal spray OTC. It works well for short periods of time, but nasal sprays have significant "rebound" problems when used over several days and when you stop taking them. There is more info on nasal sprays elsewhere in the forum for those interested in searching for it.

FWIW, guaifenesin is an expectorant that is supposed to help "loosen" mucus and make it easier to clear. There's some debate as to whether it actually works, but I don't know of any harm in using it while diving.

For those readers who are curious about reading more concerning pseudoephedrine (eg Sudafed) and nitrox, take a look at:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=570&highlight=pseudoephedrine+AND+dan

HTH,

Bill

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom