Phi Phi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kerstin

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new to diving -- just got certified this month and my boyfriend and I are going to Thailand in June. We are thinking of diving in Phi Phi. Does anyone know if this is worth it or if the weather will be ok? My friend who lives in Bangkok assured me it's not the rainy season yet but after reading some posts about the weather in Phuket, I'm not too sure. He is convinced Phi Phi is the best as far as beauty, etc. and he says there is good diving there as well. We haven't booked yet and want to maximize our trip possibilites as we will only be in southern Thailand for 4 days.Any recommendations?

Phi Phi is a lovely island and well worth a visit, if you find it a bit more expensive than you expected, you can find a whole load of other islands nearby. Nice diving too.

I really enjoyed my two weeks there three years ago. Island is beautiful, diving very good, romantic place (sigh, I was alone) and I met some nice folks there.

Dr. Bill

Phi phi is lovely. But if you want to save money, you can dive Phi Phi from Ao Nang, which is a lovely town near Krabi and a launching spot for getting to Railey where there is fab rock climbing. The trips are a day trip and include lunch. There are also nice sites around Ao Nang.
Unfortunately, the rainy season will have started on the West coast by June. It's still nice to dive, though, if a little choppy.
Koh Tao on the East coast will be a little less rainy. But it's not quite as nice.
Thailand is amazing.
Have a blast.

I think Phi Phi is a good choice. I spent a month there last fall diving and having fun. If conditions are good consider going out to the sites of Hin Muang and Hin Dang, a bit more effort involved but worth it. Several good sites around Phi Phi to see and they are my favorite.

On a sunny day in Phi Phi the waters are picture postcard azure blue and there is still a fair deal of fish life there. There's also some nice snorkeling if you need to stay in the water.
As others have said it's a bit more expensive than other islands but it's also a nice place to stay - the movie "The Beach" with Leonardo Dicaprio, was filmed there....something the locals liked to remind us about when we went :D

Phi Phi is indeed a nice place. Great view, UW is not bad. Nice and calm seas.

BUT

June is the wet monsoon.

The main shopping, eating and partying strip is not very clean. It is clean within the Hotel compounds like Cabana.

I have just returned from Phuket and spent 4 nights on Phi Phi and did my advance Open Water. Unfortunately Phi Phi Don is no longer the Beautifull Island it once was. It has been (and still is being) developed quite a lot. If you go expecting a romantic Island Paradise - you will be dissapointed. The island does have quite a good "travelers buzz" about it, both of the Discos are good and the atmosphere on the island is relaxed and fun. Diving is good - I would recommend the King Cruiser Wreck, in fact its worth getting the Advanced Open water as it will give you a lot of dives for your money.

Back
Top Bottom