Phillippines - General safety question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lived there for 11 years. It's no different than anywhere else. I always followed one basic rule when in new places considered safe or unsafe. Walk like you know where the hell you're going and act like you know what you want. Show respect. It's worked for me.

I had the wonderful fortune of living in the PI twice for a total of five years. While there was some crime in the City of Angels I didn't stay there much anyway. My second time there I had a four-wheel drive Chevrolet pickup and I literally ran the wheels off it traveling the highways and back roads and never felt unsafe. Like someone already said, just look like you know what you are doing. If walking in the market place or shopping just hire a guide for the day. It's not expensive and makes it much easier to get around and see things that you would walk right past otherwise. The guide will also keep you out of the parts of town where you have no business. They speak the language and can hear if you are being set up for a mugging.

Be warned that in a public place if you give a peso to a kid be prepared to have one for them all.

Philippine folks are the warmest and friendliest folks in the world. They easily earned the name Land of Smiles. Treat them with respect and you will get that in return. In Balanga once I needed some medicine that wasn't in the local pharmacy. The store owner left me in charge of her store while she went to the Government Clinic and got what I needed. There are hundreds of stories like that and I could go on and on.

See other things while you are there. The ridge overlooking Taal Lake at Taygaytay. The river rapids and falls at Pagsinan are all in the Batangas area. Tour the San Miguel factory and sample their products. Factor in some extra days and see Corregidor, the beaches at Cebu, the mountain city at Baguio and even the terraces at Banaue, one of the seven wonders of the world. Try a Balut - you think it's disgusting but really very good.

How I envy you - traveling to this magical land.

I'm heading out to the P.I. for my fourth holiday trip this April.

Not once have I felt the slightest threatened or worried.

Last trip I went to Mindanao (Cagayan De Oro and Davao), were according to some it's very dangerous. I didn't personally see anything particular to support this belief.

As you are not going anywhere near the debated "unsafe" island of Mindanao you should be perfectly safe.

The only place I tend to be a bit extra careful in is Manila. It's a big city and probably not the best place in the world to, for example, end up alone, drunk and in some kind of red light district...avoid that and you should be fine.

I also second what everyone else already has said, don't flash cash, don't be rude etc. etc. (Advice true for about 95% of the world).

I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

scubabum2:
My wife & I are considering going to Club Ocellaris at Batangas Bay this year with some friends. Both of us are ignorant about the Philippines and typically the US news only gives the bad news, so can anyone comment on our safety for our visit? We have read the State Dept travel advisories regarding some of the islands closer to Malaysia having terrorism issues.

Thanks for any information,
Mark
Hey Mark, glad you chose the Philippines! You will enjoy it here. Seeing that you're from Texas, I'd think most Pinoys would find it cool to converse with someone from there (they will love the accent! :)). It's great to see that you're informing yourself by asking your questions in a local forum. Please don't hesitate to ask any other questions you have.

The one tip I always give to people travelling here is to always carry the smaller bills. This is especially for taxis because they most likely will not have any change for that P500 of yours (so they say:)). And make sure the taxi will always charge using the meter and not a set rate (ask before you get in: "metered?" But if you go through the taxi services at the airport, you might have to pay a set rate).

Make sure to write a trip report for us when you get back!

Thank all of you for the comments and for clearing up these misconceptions. I just knew that the State Dept info was exaggerated. We have the opportunity to go with several friends that have been to the resort that I have dove with for a number of years. We're all UW photographers. The map is wonderful - it really puts things in perspective.

Now, to share this information with my paranoid wife...

Thanks so much, Mark

Back
Top Bottom