Phlegm and nausea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve02

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

My g/f and I went to a local quarry yesterday evening to try to get the weekend started right (by diving). This was not the first time we've dove at this quarry. We both felt fine, no colds, coughs, or sickness that we're aware of.

This time however was not a good experience. Not 2 minutes underwater (<20') we were both have terrible phlegm and nausea. Each time this happened we surfaced, got ouselves situated and went back down. This happened 3-4 times before we finally called the dive. We weren't 30' from the entrance. :(

The tanks and regulators are rentals. We've rented this equipment from the same LDS a few times now, all previously without incident.

What happened? What caused this?

I don't want to just blame the air in cylinders. I am going to take them back this morning and see if the LDS will test the air in them (possibly CO or oil?).

I tried to include the details I felt relevent. If I missed something that would be important please advise.

Thanks,

Steve

Unless you both ate the same bad fish, before the dive, I would definatly suggest an air quality test. You might even think about getting it tested at another site, just to get a second opinion.

dw

Have the gas tested, but call the shop stat and tell them about the issue. Other people might have the same bad gas you did, and the shop needs to notify those customers. Unless the shop is very proactive about identifying and fixing the problem, id go elsewhere in the future.

I'm glad you were both alert enough to recognize the problems and end the dives. Headaches, dizziness, and nausea are possible symptoms of contaminated air (more info in PADI OW Diver Manual. p. 190).

I completely agree with the previous posters regarding having the air tested and warning the shop.

Update: I called the LDS this morning after they opened. The girl I spoke with stated that [as of that call] we were the only ones to call-in with issues. I asked if they could test the gas and she stated that if they could, she didn't know how to. She went on to say that sometimes they "get water in the lines and that may have gotten into the tanks".

They offered to refund the price of the tank rentals. But seeing as how we both wanted to dive tomorrow morning they swapped us tanks. She also said that she was going to call in the guy that works on their compressor.

When I went to get the tanks, our new tanks were sitting there waiting for me. She said she called the service guy but he hadn't been there yet.

For our next tank rentals we will probably try a different shop. I was surprised at her response that she didn't know how to test the air, I would have thought they would have been able to test for oil, water, CO, or other contaminents in the air. Who knows...

Update: I called the LDS this morning after they opened. The girl I spoke with stated that [as of that call] we were the only ones to call-in with issues. I asked if they could test the gas and she stated that if they could, she didn't know how to. She went on to say that sometimes they "get water in the lines and that may have gotten into the tanks".

They offered to refund the price of the tank rentals. But seeing as how we both wanted to dive tomorrow morning they swapped us tanks. She also said that she was going to call in the guy that works on their compressor.

When I went to get the tanks, our new tanks were sitting there waiting for me. She said she called the service guy but he hadn't been there yet.

For our next tank rentals we will probably try a different shop. I was surprised at her response that she didn't know how to test the air, I would have thought they would have been able to test for oil, water, CO, or other contaminents in the air. Who knows...

I long ago gave up wasting my time with know-nothing clerks - I always just politely ask to speak to the boss. I think you would be doing yourself, the shop, and the other diver/customers a big favor if you spoke to someone in authority and got the answers you need.

Did you guys notice a bad taste or a bad smell when you prebreathed your reg in the initial setup check? does the shop have a current cert on the compressor at the fill station?Where is the intake for the compressor?Sorry this happened hope the rest of the weekend went well

vince

I can't smell, so I'll ask my g/f about that. But I didn't taste anything.

Regarding the certs or setup of the compressor, I have no idea. I'll have to ask the LDS.

We can replacement tanks and are going again this morning. Hopefully with a much better experience. I'll let y'all know how this trip goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom