Photon Torpedo Vs Halcyon Mini Scout Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the stuff in your house then is pirated, maybe even your car. The Chinese and Japanese are experts at it. But if it's not an actual patented item it's perfectly legal. And that's a pretty large claim to just throw out there, do you have any specific knowledge that ANY of the components of the PT LED are the same as the Halcyon?
I'm talking about you pirating OSX to run on your Dell.

How does one get in the lead, or is it always the lead diver who's light fails?
You switch the diver with a light failure to the front. Just curious, do you have ANY technical experience to be writing these types of reviews?

my PTs are about 4 years(?) out of date. if they've updated their LED slug that changes things (kinda really why i wanted to see a new stock halcyon vs. new PT bakeoff). the halcyon LED is not the same as the PT LED, AFAIK.

Me too now, my guess is that they will be very similar. It seems that everyone is following the same path just not getting there at exactly the same time. Probably because it takes a while to pirate after one person create the new improved one:wink:

This is just great a non-cave diver telling everyone how much light they need to exit a cave!

I'm listening...

(I have standard scouts, mini-scouts, and PTs all running the UK LED modules because that is what I upgraded them to 3 or 4 years ago and I am spending most of my money on gas for diving nowadays not replacing adequate, functional backups.)

We own two Scouts and a PT, and we have had a Scout flood. The PT hasn't flooded, but neither has the other Scout, and they all get similar amounts of use . . . which is a lot less than they used to, because for local diving, I'm using the Dorcey. I like a shorter light to put on my territory-limited harness :)

I bought a PT LED about four years ago. It's been along for probably 500-550 dives. Never a problem. I'm *sure* there are brighter LED modules out on the market today, but I don't have any need to upgrade. The light works perfectly fine for my needs. I bet the new Scouts in particular are especially nice.

Me too now, my guess is that they will be very similar. It seems that everyone is following the same path just not getting there at exactly the same time. Probably because it takes a while to pirate after one person create the new improved one:wink:
Still waiting for an answer to my previous question here, what technical diving experience do you have to be writing tech gear reviews? If the answer isn't none at all, who was your instructor who didn't teach you to put the diver with a gear failure in front?

:popcorn:

I'm talking about you pirating OSX to run on your Dell.

You switch the diver with a light failure to the front. Just curious, do you have ANY technical experience to be writing these types of reviews?

It's not pirated, I bought a full retail copy of Snow Leopard, even overpaid for it.

Oh, so if a diver in back has a light failure he SIGNALS the divers in front with his backup light. Got it. If I were doing that I personally would want a bright one.

Just curious, are you this confrontational while diving?

I took a lot of time tonight to present two POSSIBLE backup lights that I happen to be happy with. My title should have read Photon AND Scout instead of VS, but the main thing is I wanted to simply add to the database of info here and now I'm talking about pirated software and stupid non-sense......YOU don't like my lights I GET IT!!

This is just great a non-cave diver telling everyone how much light they need to exit a cave!

I'm listening...

(I have standard scouts, mini-scouts, and PTs all running the UK LED modules because that is what I upgraded them to 3 or 4 years ago and I am spending most of my money on gas for diving nowadays not replacing adequate, functional backups.)

Ya know what, Mod's please move this thread to a section with guys I'd like to have a beer with. I think I've been nothing but honest and upfront with my experience and I'm not telling anyone anything more than the PT and the Mini Scout with the Cree R5 are good bright lights.

I'll tell ya what, if Halcyon is still selling dim backup lights next year I will agree with you 100%. But as it looks NO ONE is doing that, there is no reason to have a dim LED, none at all. I'll be back then to talk to ya about it more.

It's not pirated, I bought a full retail copy of Snow Leopard, even overpaid for it.
You violated the EULA when you did this. Please take a look at the Apple vs Prystar court case.

Oh, so if a diver in back has a light failure he SIGNALS the divers in front with his backup light. Got it. If I were doing that I personally would want a bright one.
It's quite obvious when your buddy loses his primary light. Those things are obvious when they turn off. If your buddy doesn't notice before you signal him with a backup, you've got a terrible buddy.

Just curious, are you this confrontational while diving?
I don't believe I'm being confrontational now, at all. I'm just asking if you have any qualifications to give an opinion on tech gear. Why are you taking such offense to that? I've asked Halcyon employees why they're more expensive, why they do this, why they do that, and they're always more than willing to answer the questions. Not sure if you can't see where I've asked what your experience is, or if you're just avoiding my question? :confused:

Guys, does someone have to have technical diving experience to compare the construction and brightness of two lights? His conclusions about what one needs to exit a cave may be dubious, but the original review, complete with a lot of photographs and the reasons behind his conclusions, seems fair enough. You can take the information for what it's worth and make your own decisions.

Personally, I DO like bright backup lights, because it IS nice to be able to signal over somebody's 21W HID. But the brightest backup light I've ever owned was the worst one, because it wasn't reliable.

Scouts and PTs both have good reputations for reliability, as far as I know. All lights can flood, and the flip side of the reliability of a twist-on backup light is that, to avoid pressure-induced burning, one can be tempted to back the bezel off TOO far and induce flooding. No amount of o-rings will prevent that.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom