photos flat using s95-raw/manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mantababe

Contributor
Reaction score
hi guys i use a canon 295 shoot raw and manual, process via LR. my other half uses canon G9 shoots in underwater
mode processes via elements, my photos compared to his are flat and lifeless, any suggestions as i thought shooting raw was the best way as it retains all the info unlike jpeg.....appreciated any help

Are either of you using strobes?

There are some excellent resources out there for tips on using LR for underwater pics (eg Jack and Sue Drafahl).

Maybe post a couple of pics (unedited) along with the settings you were using :)

I can't speak for LR as I don't use it but no doubt it is a quality program.

Try using the Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) software that came with the camera for the white balance adjustment then finish up in LR.

I use a G10 and G12 with a strobe and shoot RAW. I adjust the white balance in DPP (if needed on strobe shots), convert to JPEG and finish my editing in PS CS4. I prefer the DPP for the white balance adjusting over PS.

Early days for me shooting in RAW, but I'm pretty impressed with DPP to adjust the white balance

Lightroom has a very easy white balance tool if you have anything white in the picture. Otherwise it can be a bit tricky, but just play with the slide bars and see what you can come up with. I too, prefer to white balance there then go into photoshop for more editing, like cleaning up backscatter and such.

In photoshop however, the levels adjustment is an easy white balance.

I find, that viewing photos in Lightroom sometimes doesn't give the photo all the "vibrance" you may see in other programs. I think it has to do with it doing "virtual work" with the image. Not sure. But I use the histogram and when I either export or open in another program I usually think the photo looks better.

Even more so when printed.

After further review of the OP, I think you are misunderstanding or expecting too much from the advantage of using RAW. It does save all of the information, but it also doesn't do any pre-set adjustments, so you are pretty much looking at the photo only according to your exposure settings, which do affect the "look" of the image.

As asked before, are you using strobe(s)? What ISO are you using? White balance may not be the only adjustment you need to make, but a good photograph taken in RAW shouldn't need a massive amount of adjustment, but it won't have some of the enhancements that the G-9 has "built in" by using underwater mode.

Maybe try some of your camera's pre-settings and see if you like the pictures better and if so do that. If you aren't compiling stock images to sell later then there is no harm in using Jpeg.

we both use a strobe although his is more powerful than mine but even on macro pics mine just seem lifeless/flat/low in colour and this is AFTER ive adjusted them it mayb a good idea to try and see if i can upload a couple onto here, cant do it know as off to work, not sure its down to the white balance, more to do with not such vivid colours as his, and also mine dont seem as sharp? interesting that you say bout the colours not showing up well in LR thats something i could look into, i will also try canon softwear. but i have go tomor upload couple of pics...thanks

Please post some pics so we can see the difference. One of his that you like and a similar one of yours that you don't like.
then we can make some diagnoses.
Bill

I can't speak for LR as I don't use it but no doubt it is a quality program.

Try using the Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) software that came with the camera for the white balance adjustment then finish up in LR.

I use a G10 and G12 with a strobe and shoot RAW. I adjust the white balance in DPP (if needed on strobe shots), convert to JPEG and finish my editing in PS CS4. I prefer the DPP for the white balance adjusting over PS.

DPP is great---& thanks for Gilligan for showing it to me......see below top link for results from Cayman Brac a couple months ago.....

BTW, bought LR right before heading to CB & have not used it @ all...wish now I would have left it alone.....

Last edited:
Maybe his are just more "heavily" processed? To my entirely untrained eye, his seem almost overdone. Perhaps he has some "auto level" and /or saturation boost step in his workflow? I can make yours look just as "vivid" as his with a quick auto levels and saturation boost in photoshop

Back
Top Bottom