Phuket back to normal...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
Watched on CNN this morning a piece that Phuket was nearly back to normal. The footage showed people strolling down the beach enjoying themselves. It was good to see that they were willing to show the positive side.

I'm glad that amidst so much devastation throughout the region that recovery is happening. I for one, herald the fact that Phuket is doing well. It would be a travesty if people avoided this area, thus incuring unnecessary financial hardship to an area that desperately needs tourism dollars.

It's hard to say, I agree that it looks like it is back pretty much to normal. Initially I was a bit hesitated about going down there when my friends ask me to go on a dive trip around there out of respect to the dead but also decided that the living also need all the help and the sooner people started to go back there, the sooner those who survive can get their life back to normal.

Did the program mention anything about "backwash" from the tsunami? A friend and I were wondering what the reefs might look like after the wave returned to the ocean with everything it picked up. Could be a real mess underwater.

I'll be leaving for Singapore tomorrow, then for Phuket on the 5th. Will spend a few days on LOB and a few days on Phuket, before returning to Singapore on the 10th. I will try to post a non-biased (not a local, not a dive operator, not a sensationalist journalist, etc.) opinion then, when I get some internet access.

Jester:
Did the program mention anything about "backwash" from the tsunami? A friend and I were wondering what the reefs might look like after the wave returned to the ocean with everything it picked up. Could be a real mess underwater.

Around Phi Phi may be, but most divesites are not right by Phuket itself and usually requires quite a bit of traveling from Phuket so hopefully the backwash do not travel quite that far.

ssra30:
Around Phi Phi may be, but most divesites are not right by Phuket itself and usually requires quite a bit of traveling from Phuket so hopefully the backwash do not travel quite that far.

Similan Islands are 60km offshore. We only have unofficial reports so far from liveaboards, but the area looks very good, marine life as bountiful as normal. I hope fishchasers unbiased report says the same!

I am so glad to hear CNN did a "back to normal" item. I spoke yesterday to a team from NBC who were trying to do "good stories" - they were at the hospital and talked to me and my very pregnant wife. The reporter was very much aware that the local people and Phuket press were a bit annoyed at the continuing portrayal of disaster. The Thai people here as well as foreigners are trying to rebuild asap and get back to business. I hope CNN can run that item again.

After 6 days in a bit of shock, while trying to carry on working, I was happy to take a day off yesterday. In Phuket, daily life is indeed carrying on. Unless you look for it specifically, you can't tell what happened here. We are all rather shocked by what has happened, but must carry on. Personally I know nobody who got even hurt, and nobody I know knows anybody who got hurt. My blessings have been counted.

I am happy to read a positive response from divers on this board. Thanks to all.

Back
Top Bottom