Phuket dive (and other) recommendations needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As it happens I had the same question last week and tried to find a NAUI instructor. I must admit I did not look very hard, but my first impression is that there are no NAUI options on the island.

I would hold no concerns re going to Thailand - particularly Phuket - you will find there will be fewer tourists and more police about if anything. Last time the red shirts issue flared up there was a warning that the airport would be taken, I flew in from Cambodia on an empty plane to find an almost empty airport surrounded by military and not a single red shirt anywhere to be seen.
StevenL has organised diving for me on a couple of occasions. I second staying in Kata rather than Patong.
When there are flareups and tourism drops the hotels and shopkeepers are happy to give you a better deal IMO.
I actually disagree that the bombing near the temple was designed to cause harm to tourists......if that had been the case Khao San road would have been the most effective target.
Just use normal caution. Bangla Road in Patong in all its sleaze and noise is worth having a quick look at if youve never been but to stay in Patong? nahhh try Kata or Karon or if you like somewhere really out of the way (unfortunately the opposite side and end of the Island from where the dive boats leave at Chalong Pier) I often spend a day or two at Nai Yang just near the airport.....one of those nice little hidden suprise places with diving organised through Indigo Blue hotel dive centre...but you will be right out of the way for most diving sites that are the standard Phuket day trips.

Political protests in Bangkok ended in May 2015 when the current military led administration took over. No protests since at all.
With regard to the other two warnings, I believe the problems on the Cambodian border are now resolved, and the other warning relating to Southern Thailand has been in place for years, this area is miles away from Phuket and the issue is nothing to do with tourists.

Back
Top Bottom