Phuket in March... Need Dive Shops!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackSpearo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My fiance and I are going to Phuket in March and would like to know if anyone can recommend a top notch dive shop to dive with?

and which dives are must dives?

thanks!

Jack

Hi Jack. There are lots of good options here. The first thing for you to tell us, though, is if you want to do daytrip diving or if you want a liveaboard. Our top sites are best accessed by liveaboard, especially the "must dive" superlative site Richelieu Rock (though it is possible to get a speedboat daytrip up there). However, there are some very nice sites accessible by day boat from Phuket.

Are you going to miss the March Madness? (Go Heels!)

Jack,

You certainly will not be spoiled for choice - there are A LOT of dive operations on Phuket. No doubt many of them will contribute to this thread (I am not one of them, I'm a customer)

It may be worth waiting until you arrive so you can see what's on offer in terms of trips, standards & costs as there are quite a few shops that can offer a "menu" of dive trips with varying destinations.

If you’re looking for a personal recommendation I have dived with "Sea Bees" for the last few years. I'm told they are a little more expensive than others but to me the boat, food & crew are worth it.

If you’re coming in March then I would not miss Racha Noi for the chance of Manta, Shark Point & Anemone Reef for variety and a day trip to Phi-Phi for the scenery (& some diving!)

hey thanks for the responses.

I'm researching more into the phi phi islands... Would you all say the diving is better there?

can anyone recommend a nice resort there?

by the way, Heels are terrible this year :-(... we will probably miss the tournament altogether...

I'm in Europe now (Spain) and I've been searching for flights to Phuket... Most of them (the affordable ones) are Madrid to Doha Qatar then to Bangkok and finally Phuket... I have a friend living in Phuket who has a house, so it will be free for me once I get there...

only problem is, 8 hour layover in Doha! argh! anyone been there done that before?

Yeah, I know about the Heels, but one can always hope!

Anyway, my only Doha experience was waiting there on the tarmac for hours when my plane was diverted from Dubai due to fog. They wouldn't even let us off the plane, so can't help there--sorry.

As for Phi Phi, there are a couple of very nice sites--Koh Bida Nok and Koh Bida Nai. These are also accessible from Phuket. Other than those two, the diving from Phi Phi is okay, but not outstanding. You might be able to get a trip down to the excellent Hin Daeng and Hin Muang to the south. Expect a loooonnng boat ride, though!

Where on Phuket is your friend's place? It might make a difference as to what you decide to do about diving. I mean that if it's up in the northern part of the island and you have to drive 40-60 minutes to get to the dive pier from there, you might decide instead to drive 90 minutes north to Khao Lak and do some daytrips to the Similans at least once.

Hi Kack,

Greetings from sunny Phuket,

I worked 7 years on Koh Phi Phi, have a look at Phi Phi Island Cabana Hotel at Krabi, Thailand - as they used to have a good reputation when I was there and they are located in the center of the island where the village is. Worth having a look.

Diving from Koh Phi Phi is more convenient for day trips as you only have to walk to the dive center in the morning as opposed to taking a minibus for up to 45 minutes before getting to the pier at Chalong.

If you will stay on Phuket, you can also contact me as I run 2 dive centers for Euro-Divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom