Physical Fitness What Role Does It Play??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know I can swim forever but I'm slow as can be. If they need speed they won't need me. I'll have to call the shop I plan to use and find out. Swiming for distance is very easy as I do that daily but I never look at the clock. My wife laps me in the lap pool pretty easily.

When your body is in good physical condition. Negotiating the ocean is substantially easier. I know both as about two years ago, I quit smoking and joined a fitness center which I've been going to four days a week, religiously.
I've seen the difference in my diving (i.e. less exertion, less air/gas used, more bottom time, less risk of DCS, etc.).
I have seen DM's and instructors in such poor physical condition that I suspect they couldn't help themselves in a dicey situation much less help others in need. Hey, I'm no expert but its common knowledge that a program consisting of weight training and lots of cardio work WILL help anyone.
Oh yeah, I did the DM swim test last year for my police diver cert. and aced it.

But the problem with that is that fat causes you suck down more air at depth and typically clogged arteries (eventually). The clogged arteries interfere with blood flow which interferes with efficient off-gassing of all that nitrogen that you breathed in. This means a higher risk factor for DCS.

The other factor is that when I was swimming regularly, my air consumption was lower so I had better bottom times and generally enjoyed my diving more because I wasn't quite so exhausted.:D

cold kiwi once bubbled...

the padi dive master fitness calls for :
10min to swim 400m
around 17m to do a 800m snorkel
around 2 1/2 min for a 100m tired diver tow
15min float with last 2min hands out of water

just wondering how many people with rescue cards/divemaster/dive con/instructors could honestly say they can do it .............................with out been scoffed at :)

piece of cake....here are my times (probably on a bad day)

6 min (absolute max), for the swim

14 minutes for the snorkel (why we have to snorkel so god dern far is beyone me....I don't get that requirement)

probably about 2 minutes for the diver tow, but I can still get the dude out of the water after that and perform necessary resuce skills

I could float for hours if the water is warm enough and the view is peaceful enough

Back
Top Bottom