Physics Rant: The Truth to Buoyancy in Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for taking the time to write that. I appreciate it. Now that said, don't ever think I will go to the movies with you. :wink: :wink::D

...and I say "pedantic."

With sour cream and chives??? :rofl3:

Gravity is at work on us at all times. We cannot even escape it's clutches underwater (it may actually increase the farther we get below sea level.)
My gawd, you may have destroyed curves in gradeschool, but that statement and link makes it quite clear that peers have nothing to fear from you nowadays.

You would be weightless at the earth's core, given the surrounding mass of the earth pulling you equally in all directions. Gravity affects you less as you descend (though you'd be hard-pressed to measure it).

Roak

So wait, that means an oil tanker isn't heavy? But a dense block of styrofoam that sinks, is? I think that's a somewhat confusing and imprecise use of plain language.

So wait, that means an oil tanker isn't heavy? But a dense block of styrofoam that sinks, is? I think that's a somewhat confusing and imprecise use of plain language.

... or my brother... he ain't heavy either! :rofl3: :rofl3:

I really enjoyed the craftsmanship and logic in the original post. Very interesting read. Technically correct I suppose. Life is short so I'm going to go with this:

Positive Buoyancy = I'm a little "floaty".

Neutral Buoyancy = I'm good right here for now.

Negative Buoyancy = A sinking feeling.

Sea ya!

... just notice that the 'great big swimming pool thingie' that NASA uses to train astronauts for EVAs and other such spacie stuff is called (by NASA) the "Neutral Bouyancy Laboratory" ... and, while I can't speak for everyone on this list, if NASA is good with the concept of 'neutral bouyancy'... so am I...

... of course this COULD be just another government boondoggle... but that would probably be a different thread...

I'm an engineer and I say shuddup, lets go diving.

I like precise terminology when it's needed, but hate geek-speak otherwise.

Buoyant, Un-buoyant, Dis-buoyant...? Maybe we should stick with density! You're too dense for your volume, take some weight off! You're not dense enough have a couple more pounds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom