Piankatank River-Need buddy for next week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubble-head

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is anyone interested in doing a dive under the Piankatank River Bridge with me next week (29th or 30th)? It's about 9-15' deep and an easy dive. Good place to bag some oysters. This bridge seperates Mathews from Middlesex Counties.

I'm looking to do an oyster dive soon, but that is just to far to go. I might go oyster diving on the 1st near Solomons Island and you would be welcome to come. Its also a shore dive and we usually get all the oysters we care to eat.

Have you ever dove the City of Annapolis? It looks like it is in your neighborhood. If you have any interest maybe we can find a boat to take us there next spring. I dove it once a few years ago, but had zero vis with current and was only certified 6 months prior. Hit the bottom, touched the wreck and came back up. I've always wanted to go back when conditions were better, we just got really unlucky that vis was so bad or so I've heard. Let me know what you think.

Andrew

Thanks for the invite. Where is Solomon's Island? I have not dove the City of Annapolis. I'd like to get some more info on it.

Patrick

Solomons Island is in Maryland, which is probably a long way for you. We get in on either side of the Rt 2 bridge over the Patuxent River, depending on the amount of boat traffic. One side is a shorter swim with a better place to sort oysters after the dive, but has much more boats and a few less oysters and the other side is a longer swim with more oysters once you find them.

The City of Annapolis was an excursion steamer that was sunk in a collision with her sister the City of Richmond in 1927. She is in 70 feet of water near Smith Point on the outside edge of the shipping channel. As far as I know, no charters run there. My buddy and I hired a fishing boat to take us. I have heard that she was wire dragged, but didn't see nearly enough to confirm it. On a side note, the City of Richmond sank off of South Carolina and is also divable.

There are a couple of other wrecks within a few miles. The Dorothy is in 130 feet and the Brazil is 100 feet. I wouldn't mind diving these wrecks either, but they ARE in the shipping channel and really big ships come through there.

Andrew

Andrew, those sound like really interesting wrecks! I would not mind taking a drive up there in the future and checking them out with you. I work in a school system and therefore have the month of July off. That would probably be the best time for me and I would not mind springing for a charter.
Happy Holidays!
Patrick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom