Picatinny Rail Flash Light Quick Disconnect for Speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
Anyone ever add a picatinny rail to their speargun? With Magpul's MLOK rail creation we now see glass reinforced polymer adapters in various lengths that scream to me that they should be mounted to a speargun.

So my current flash light setup is just a block of PVC with 3 holes. One for the kill spike to mount it and two for zip ties to hold the light. This is not a great system because zip ties eventually fail and after repeated use the spike hole wallows out, becomes loose and eventually you're going to look down one dive and your light is gone. Also no good if your gun doesn't have a kill spike to begin with. Also I don't like my light to be permanently mounted so having the ability to quickly and easily remove it a must for me.

So here's what I did. A $5 Magpul picatinny rail adapter screwed into the 6 o'clock of the muzzle. And a few companies make a quick detach polymer flash light mount. Mission First Tactical being one and I like the design for this application.

The benefit here is you don't have to permanently mount the light and it provides a solid connection point and easy install by sliding on to the rail and easy removal with a press of a button, and slide off.

The spring and a screw and nut will need to be replaced with 316 stainless, but everything else is polymer.

The only issue is the fit is too perfect. I will polish down the mount a hair to make sliding on and off easier. To be expected for a weapon system where swapping out a light wouldn't happen all that often and you want a solid tight fit to handle recoil from a rifle.

You can see in the photo where I put the rail adapters on my two Rhino muzzles I have on my RX5 and FrankenBillerRhinoStein gun. I put the muzzles on a bench sander and screwed down the adapters with some 316 screws. I also cut the 5 rail adapter down to 4 to fit that area. I might sell that RX5 here soon and if so you'll already be set.

If you do this on a Rhino muzzle be sure to buy the Magpul MOE adapter, not the MLOK. The MOE adapter has one screw off set allowing you to cut the 5th rail off. Otherwise use a 3 rail adapter so it doesn't overhang.

attachment.php?attachmentid=246837&stc=1&d=1618276213.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=246838&stc=1&d=1618276213.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=246839&stc=1&d=1618276213.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=246840&stc=1&d=1618276213.jpg

That is awesome. I think I’m going to need to try this. With the light lower and a bit farther aft compared to the kill spike mount, have you noticed any interference when needing to lineshaft?

Great Idea and should be sturdy. I bought a 3d printed light mount off of ebay years ago. It works well but the only problem is it only worked with one type of light and its screwed into that gun.

These are not bad, easily attaches to a spare shaft or kill spike, still working on a kill spike. Only problem with these is that easy on can be easy off. Really should take off after your finished in the hole or on your accent.

Flashlight Holder Kit

I’ve used those shaft mounts previously, and they do work OK. As mentioned in the OP, they do tend to wear out after a while. Hopefully, you realize before losing your light. Another issue is that it prevents the spike from being a spike.

I actually just ordered a second rail and light mount to use on my daughters’/spare speargun. The newer MFT mount is slightly different than in the photos above, but looks to work the same. Came with two different inserts to allow for securely mounting lights of varying diameters. You can use zero, one, or both inserts as needed.

I’ve used those shaft mounts previously, and they do work OK. As mentioned in the OP, they do tend to wear out after a while. Hopefully, you realize before losing your light. Another issue is that it prevents the spike from being a spike.

I actually just ordered a second rail and light mount to use on my daughters’/spare speargun. The newer MFT mount is slightly different than in the photos above, but looks to work the same. Came with two different inserts to allow for securely mounting lights of varying diameters. You can use zero, one, or both inserts as needed.
Indeed it makes the spike inoperable and the truth it the kill spike isn't really for killing anything, rather defense from an amped up surprise shark after you've shot a fish and now you don't have a shaft in the gun to give the shark a poke.

Also, if you're not conscience of it, sometimes shafts get stuck in limestone and a good way to free it is to feed the gun on to the shaft, lock it in the mech and now you've got a handle and leverage to pull it out. But, if you forget your flashlight is on there, we'll, you'll be posting videos like Dave.

Also, if you're not conscience of it, sometimes shafts get stuck in limestone and a good way to free it is to feed the gun on to the shaft, lock it in the mech and now you've got a handle and leverage to pull it out.
I never thought of doing that. Will come in handy. Not so much for me, but my buddy tends to get shafts stuck this way.

For the light holder, what sizes do you need for the bolt, nut and spring? Is it pretty self-explanatory to change?

What flashlights are you using with the holder?

I am going to try this mount. Last weekend, I screwed up with the muzzle mounted light and did some stupid stuff. Still ended up a successful dive, these are 28 and 31 inches.

Attachments

• hogs 2023.png
    hogs 2023.png
    852.5 KB · Views: 49
For the light holder, what sizes do you need for the bolt, nut and spring? Is it pretty self-explanatory to change?

What flashlights are you using with the holder?

I am going to try this mount. Last weekend, I screwed up with the muzzle mounted light and did some stupid stuff. Still ended up a successful dive, these are 28 and 31 inches.
I can't recall off hand, but it was simple enough to replace with 316 stainless steel.

This light and these batteries. The light is actually also labeled as Hog.

Rechargeable. Replaces 2 stacked CR123 batteries.

That is awesome. I think I’m going to need to try this. With the light lower and a bit farther aft compared to the kill spike mount, have you noticed any interference when needing to lineshaft?
Would love to know if anyone has tried this while lineshafting. I am really wanting to try this but since I don't freeshaft very often it may not be beneficial.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom