Pick of the litter for Computers under $250

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EL Pistoffo

Contributor
Reaction score
Still in the market for a pair of our first wrist mount computers under $250. Falling under this category are:

1. Suunto Zoop
2. Mares Puck
3. Oceanic Veo 180
4. Aeris XR1 NX
5. Cressi Leonardo
6. Hollis DG02
7. Hollis DG03

I've been fixing to get the Zoop (waiting for it to go on sale) but the Hollis DG03 recently went on sale for $249. Wondering if that is a better pick.

Last edited:
I've tried and or owned 1,2 and 5. I'd go the Zoop. Do a search on the DG03 seems a lot of unhappy campers. Granted the DG03 is more computer than the Zoop. But for ease of use, reliability and simplicity it's hard to beat the Zoop.

The Oceanic Veo 180 would be my choice. I have had good luck with oceanic computers. Of course thought should be given to the algorithm used.

I can't speak to reliability but the DG03 is the only one that will take a transmitter if you decide to go AI later.

No complaints with the zoop. You can find a lightly used one for around $150

I pick zoop since i have one and its easy to use and has a big display that's easy to read u/w. This is my second Suunto with my first being a Stinger and had a Uwatec Aladdin Pro as my first computer until it got lost in the ocean.

Zoop or Zoop

I vote 3 & 6, both the same computer. I had one and then sold for an oceanic 3.0 and then a Scubapro tech 2g. I wisn I had my veo 180 back. Simple to use, and has gauge mode.

My hubby recently bought me the Zoop as a gift. I have only done 3 dives with it though. I love it. My only gripes are:

1. The phosphorescent display: It does not last very long and is not very bright.
2. No deep stop functionality.
3. The dive profile also does not record temperatures throughout the dive. Not a deal-breaker, it would have been nice though. I don't have the cable, so not sure if this will display on a PC?

The Zoop is also really easy to use. After reading the manual once, I did not have to refer to it again as the menus are set out intuitively.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom