Picked Up A Pair Of Mares Regs, Need Reassurance That It Was A Good Deal.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

84CJ7

Contributor
Reaction score
I know people love threads where they can give their two cents, and I don't think there was a rule against linking to ended auctions.
Its a 22/abyss and a 42/abyss set up for doubles with a long/short hose and already both DIN for $386.75 shipped

Mares abyss 22/42 Tech/Cave Regulator set +Carrying bag

I'm not having buyers remorse or anything to be sure, but I sorta jumped into an ebay auction at the last minute (saw it about to end with no bidders) because it was almost exactly the setup I was planning to build, at what seemed an unusually good price. I did a no-no for myself and bought on the credit card when I have strict rules that if I can't afford it right now in cash then its not for me, but I didn't want to miss this and spend more later on the same stuff.

I have an excellent history of missing glaringly obvious facts that make things go from a great deal to a terrible deal but I can't seem to find the catch here. My guess is because he was asking about what other auctions were asking for just a single newer style MR22/Abyss that people didn't notice the 42 in the title and assumed is was just the one first and second stage without looking when it was actually a pair with a long hose and stuff.
I think that long hose is even a flex hose.

I already have an older (turbine face) yoke MR22/Abyss but I wanted a pair for doubles (though I will just use the 42 possibly rather than convert my other mr22), and the old abyss second pisses me off when I rebuild it (admittedly not often) because it lacks that oh so lovely port on the side for adjusting the lever nut without taking the cover off again (and again and again). The protons were so much easier before for that reason but the latest abyss second got the same access port added.
I know people will tell me about all my other options I could have bought, but I know how to service these regs (not really the 42 actually but no biggie) and they have pleased me in general.

As you already own and dive an Abyss you probably know that its design dates back to the AMF/Voit/Swimaster MR-12 of the 1960s. Mares engineering assisted AMF in the 1970s by adding the vortex tube to increase the venturi effect and make an already superior breathing second stage even more efficient. It is a good, time proven design that is still a very good performer.

Yes rebuilding the second stage (repeatedly opening and closing the unit) while adjusting the lever height is a PITA, but shouldn't be a deal breaker. For consistency you may want to use your two MR-22 Abyss regulators as your doubles and re-convert the MR-42 Abyss for single tank work.

You got a good deal. They were serviced according to the auction. Its a very nice setup so don't worry.

Back
Top Bottom