Pickens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering the same thing for friday or saturday??? This was my first tropical storm, how badly would this have messed up shore dives?

Im really not sure... lol.... But I am off sunday and I am gonna find out... would be cool to buddy up...

With all the rain we have had, plan on the viz being CRAP for a week or so. The problem is all the runnoff we will have from the TS for the next week or so. All that mud and junk will flow in and out of the Gulf for a while. I'm hopeful that the weekend will be good but that is offshore, I see it as a forgone conclusion that viz on shore dives we suck for awhile.

With that being said you might want to consider doing some shore dives on the Gulf side away from the pass, say the new Portifino Reef site. That will clear up faster than the bay will.

thanks for the info!! I wouldnt mind going to portofino but last time I went the bouy was gone and I could not find the reef... Im not sure I went far enough out but vis was bad and there were jellies everywhere...lol...

I would like to go with someone that has been before and knows where to go.... I went to the markers in the sand and went straight out but found nothing... but like I said, vis was horrid and was distracted by the jellies...lol:D

With all the rain we have had, plan on the viz being CRAP for a week or so. The problem is all the runnoff we will have from the TS for the next week or so. All that mud and junk will flow in and out of the Gulf for a while. I'm hopeful that the weekend will be good but that is offshore, I see it as a forgone conclusion that viz on shore dives we suck for awhile.

+1

You can almost bank on two weeks of crap viz inshore and at least a full week of weird currents/unpredictable viz offshore.

Im not sure I went far enough out but vis was bad and there were jellies everywhere...lol...

It's a tad bit further out than you think it would be. It helps to watch the crosscurrent, and enter a bit upstream so you don't have to fight it as much on the way out.

Reefs make noise. You should be able to hear the clicking, clacking and clunking of the reef when you're close. It's hard to judge distance by sound in the water, but it should get louder the closer you are to the reef, and with the help of the markers on shore, you should be able to triangulate. I'd advise waiting on decent viz anyway

I'm planning on heading to St. Andrews this sunday.

Im really not sure... lol.... But I am off sunday and I am gonna find out... would be cool to buddy up...

Cliffespada, sorry about not getting back to you sooner about sunday. I was wanting to hear what others had to say about the damage/bad viz that Lee caused. Now it looks like we may have "Nate" this weekend. I'm not ruling out sunday but obviously it will depend on what this new storm does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom