Question Picking A Carry-On Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gizbar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all!

Just upgraded from a small Sony Rx100 underwater setup to a substantially larger Sony A7iv with Ikelite housing, 2 Ikelite DS160 strobes, arms and trays, and compact dome with extension.

I'm looking to see what people suggest for carry-on bag. Currently I'm looking at 3 options, a pelican 1535, a think tank airport international, or a delsey hard shell. All three are available for reasonable prices local to me, below are the links to the exact models. Thanks for any suggestions!

Pelican 1535

ThinkTank Airport International V2

Delsey Helium

Stahlsac Rangi is discontinued, though available at at a great price from House of Scuba. Love mine.

For carry-on there is no need to waste money and weight on a Pelican. Great for checked, wasted on carry-on.

I use a soft lowepro backpack for carry-on.

I use a Lowepro backpack for my camera and lenses + other stuff and the housing + strobes and arms go into a small Delsey with wheels padded with t-shirts.

I fly (used to...) FPV drones and found the backpacks made for this hobby work great as a carry-on backpack for my camera as well. For just over a $100, you can get something like this: Torvol Quad PITSTOP Backpack - Choose Color

• Weight: 2.0 kg
  • Dimensions: 31 × 23 × 47 cm
  • Internal Dimensions: 24 x 19 x 45 cm
  • Capacity: 25 L
It's a spacious backpack and I've never had any issues with being asked to check it in. You can manipulate the internal padded walls to form custom barriers to separate sensitive gear as needed.

American airlines lists carry-on size limits to be:

Carry-on requirements​

• Shouldn’t exceed 22 x 14 x 9 inches / 56 x 36 x 23 centimeters (including handles and wheels)

Nanuk 935 , is great for airtravel , then I use a $26 Tourit Cooler Bag 8.4 gallons for when I'm doing a single boat trip or want to bring it to a dive all assembled... I have an A7 with Ikelite housing and two Ikelite Strobes and it fits perfectly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom