Pics and Dive Report: Venice, M-16 + 40ft ledge 5/26/2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JesperS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Went out this morning with Nitrogen Narcosis . First stop was M-16, one of the counties artificial reefs, a pile of rubble, culverts and the like.

Vis was great, 20-25 ft I would say. There was a thermocline towards the bottom, but we were in our 5mils and it did not bother us. Great, relaxing dive.

PICT0002.jpg- Kiddo
PICT0003.jpg- There were LOTS of these guys around
PICT0012.jpg- Interesting looking critter
PICT0013.jpg- LOTS of life

As the end of our dive was approaching, we had a breathtaking unexpected treat, 2 flybys by a school of Spotted Eagle Rays!

PICT0023.jpgPICT0024.jpgPICT0025.jpgPICT0026.jpgPICT0027.jpg

The pictures do not do it justice, needless to say. I think there were 8-10 rays, and they came within 15 feet or so, but both times that I saw them, I had, of course, turned off and put away the camera.

We also saw first a large, then a GIGANTIC Goliath grouper. Again, my photography skills were lacking, and I did not get a decent picture of it.

PICT0028.jpg

After a short surface interval, we did our second dive on a 40 ft ledge. Provides nice relief, some nice small tropicals, lots of cool macro stuff. I did not bring the camera on the second dive.

Nice calm ride back to dock made for a great day of diving.

Highly recommend the Narcosis if you are interested in a dive charter here, and Gary is beyond fantastic as an instructor as well.

Gulf diving can be pretty flippin' sweet.

:thumbs-up

Nice. I am heading out tomorrow for my first time in Florida. I hope to have as good a dive as you seem to have had.

Thnx for posting

Your "interesting critter" looks to be a toadfish of some sort.. don't have my ID book handy. Cool find!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom