Pics are overexposed - help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

forloveoftravel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone - well I finally bought my DC-800 pro set (1 strobe), and got it wet for the first time this weekend. Conditions weren't great - pretty choppy seas, some surge underwater, only 30 feet vis for the most part, etc, but at least we were diving :eek:) Anyway, some of my pics came out OK, one or two were great, but at least half of them looked over-exposed. I am new at underwater photography, so I am sure this is operator error, and nothing wrong with the camera. I had the auto flash set at 0 and the focus set to infinity. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to fix this problem? Is it a setting that I need to adjust? Thanks for any help!!

Jen

I have a DC600, when my shots are overexposed, it's because I'm too close to the subject. I generally shoot from 18" or so and zoom in, if I'm trying for a closeup. Water conditions and angle of strobe all affect the shot, so try, try, try again. I did a lot of practice on starfish (they stay agreeably still for repeat shots.)

I've also noticed a high contrast between foreground and background can cause an overexposure. The camera tries to properly expose a darker area and then blows out a lighter area.

I've never used the DC800, so maybe I'm way off base. But, as you said, it may be just technique.

Happy Hunting!

Once while trying to scan through my photos on my 800 while in the housing but not in UW mode. While trying to find a button that doesn't exist just pressing random buttons, I pressed one of the arrow buttons and put the camera in Max Exposure. It's too easy to do with the camera in Land Mode and in the housing. And not to easy to undo. you need to peruse the menus with the camera out of the housing. I don't recall exactly where that is but it's easy to find especially with the manual.
On a side note, I believe every time you use the flash, the camera is in "land mode".

good luck and enjoy your new camera.

Hi Jen,

First make sure that you are in one of the External Flash Modes. That is one of the most common errors with first time users. If you'd like, send me a couple of pics, untouched and do not rename, and I can check the settings you had on the camera to see if it was set up correctly. You can end to joeifi@pioneer-research.com

Joe

Does the new digital flash have a power setting you can change in the water? I have teh 960D, and there is a dial on the back to adjust it. Often if I am over exposing my shots I find the easiest correction is to turn down the strobe output. Saves on batteries too.

Also, especially in clear water, a diffuser might make a difference. It can help eliminate shadows, and tones down the light when all you need is to replace color without overpowering the subject.

And if you are shooting a light colored target, or something on a white/sandy background you are likely to over expose.

I found the auto flash settings on the strobe to do that (I use a DC600 with the new digital pro strobe).

For most pictures I set the flash on the strobe to about 1/2 and the camera to external flash. Those settings usually capture 90% of my shots without overexposing (underexposed sometimes...) When I see it underexposed, simply turn up the level on the flash and take another shot...

Thank you all so much for your helpful replies! I will check all of that. What a great group we have here. i really appreciate it - I also really appreciate the offer to look at my pics, and I would love to take you up on that my next time out - unfortunately, my hubby knew it was a practice run and scrubbed the disk so he could use it in another camera, so I can't send them out this time.

Thank you again and Happy diving everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom