Pin on Halcyon spring heel strap!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ninja

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone had a problem after they converted the turtle fins or the scubapro jets to halcyon spring heel strap and haveing the pin pop out on the buckle? I know of two instances and than it happend to myself last week phfttt!! Thank good it was a shallow shore dive and not a trimix dive:eek:

If anyone else out there needs a fix I used stainless steel cotter pins that were just the right lengh and diameter and presto the new and improved halcyon spring heel strap was born.

And if I might ad it was a cheap fix 70 cents canadian, which equates to zero in US. dollars:wink:

Just thought I would pass it on if it could help anyone!!

Len

My spring straps don't have a buckle. Instead they use a more of a C shaped piece of stainless wire to secure them. Only problem I found was that once you crimped the C into the soft rubber of the fins, it tended to distort it some and I was concerned about it eventually tearing through the hole and making the fins unusable.

My solution was to get some 3/16" steel tubing from local auto parts store. I cut it to appropriate length, and then drilled the hole in the aluminum block of the spring strap out to accept the tubing.

By sliding the tubing down through the block and the O end of the spring strap, it locked the strap in place with the block.

Now, I can thread the stainless wire through my fins first and crimp them into the block. This relieves the stress on the rubber portion of the fins.

If you don't use the tubing, then there is nothing to hold the spring straps into the aluminum block.

I would be very interested in any type of buckle tho, as I still dont care much for the whole wire fastener idea...

Hi Cave Diver!

What type of spring heel strap do you use? Just for interest sake so I can picture them in my head:)

Len

ninja once bubbled...
Hi Cave Diver!

What type of spring heel strap do you use? Just for interest sake so I can picture them in my head:)

Len

My SS are from 5th D.

See if the links below help you picture it better... If they don't work, PM me and I will email the pics to you.

Exploded view

Assembled View

Fin View

Full Assembly

Cave diver !

I know the ones you have now they look quite secure..

As you know the Halcyon ones utilize the pop in pin for buckle attachment wich may be a problem as I have noted above.

Looks like we both sorted out our own problems:slick:

Len

The instructions that came with my Halcyon Spring Heels states:

"...brad the ends of the retaining pins with a hammer and a metal punch by mushrooming the end of the pin slightly so that there is no way the pin can be pulled free from the clasp. Many divers find that brading the pin offers an additional degree of security to the installation."

I did it, the pin isn't coming out without tools.

randyjoy once bubbled...
The instructions that came with my Halcyon Spring Heels states:

"...brad the ends of the retaining pins with a hammer and a metal punch by mushrooming the end of the pin slightly so that there is no way the pin can be pulled free from the clasp. Many divers find that brading the pin offers an additional degree of security to the installation."

I did it, the pin isn't coming out without tools.

Makes perfect sense ooops!! Didn't get any instructions in mine. Oh well!!

Thanks Randyjoy

Len

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom