Pin Style Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krawdady

Contributor
Reaction score
I know there are a million posts on spring straps but I didn't find anything on this specific topic. Are these type of straps any good? I have a pair of SP Jet Fins I want to put spring straps on but they are my secondary fins so I don't want to spend a ton of money. I found some pin style (I mean the attchment points) that are pretty reasonable. It just doesn't look like the pins would hold under stress. Maybe I'm wrong but I would hate for them to come off the fin in the middle of a dive. Any feedback?

They are rock solid... Which brand are you looking to get. I've got them on both sets of fins I own got them from LP.

It doesn't list the brand. I saw them on the "Scubaboard Market Place Thread" from a new company (I think their they're new) called Piranha Dive Mfg. I was looking at their site and they have these for $9.95 per strap with free shipping through the weekend. It says they'll work for Jet Fins. Here's the link:

Pin Style - Piranha Dive Manufacturing Product Catalog

Those look like E-Z Springs ... Cheng uses a pair on her Biofins and has had them a very long time.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I found some pin style (I mean the attachment points) that are pretty reasonable. It just doesn't look like the pins would hold under stress.
Mine have never been a problem. If you're putting enough stress on there to bend them straight, you've long since pulled the springs into metal models of RNA. :biggrin:
I was looking at their site and they have these for $9.95 per strap with free shipping through the weekend.
I wonder if they'll sell me fins individually, too. I'd like one stubby paddle fin and one long split fin, please. (I wouldn't find it so entertaining, knowing that replacing a single spring strap could potentially be useful, but at an alleged original price of $50 *per* *spring*, it just struck me a bit too much like a Zales "Original price may not have resulted in actual sales." thing.)

((Yes, that was the fine print on the bottom of the screen during one of their 99.9999% off commercials.))

Those look like E-Z Springs ... Cheng uses a pair on her Biofins and has had them a very long time.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My first pair of springs was a set of E-Z springs and they worked fine I just didn't like the fact that the rubber part used to pull the straps moves around because it doesn't cover the entire spring and it slides along the spring. They may have been a tad too big causing the slide too. No biggie!

The ones on the link mentioned look a lot like the The Blue Reef, where the rubber covers most of the spring so the handle doesn't move around.

Wys

I think you have already made up your mind but just so you know i have sold a number of these althou under the manufactures name saekodive and have not had any complaints a

Yeah they should be here tomorrow. Like I said, they aren't my primary fins but when I do get around to using them I'll let you know how they worked. After reading this I'm sure they will be just fine.

O.K. so here is what might be a silly question. The straps came today. How do I get the pins out of the original buckle on my scubapro jet fins? Also, when I put the new springs straps on, should I pinch the pins together once I'm done?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom