Pineapple Fish / Pine Cone Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am a bit confused with this fish as they appear to have two different Latin names, but look remarkably similar and the same species.

UAE_8322MCsig.jpg

I have seen it listed as Monocentris japonica (Debelius Indian Ocean Fish Guide and Wikipedia) as well as Cleidopus gloriamaris!

Anyone with enough knowledge to differentiate them.

I have seen some examples off the east coast of UAE (photograph above) as well as off Natal in South Africa

I checked this out on Fishbase and I agree, they are very similar. However, Fishbase says that C. gloriamaris, the Pineapplefish, is restricted to Australia and M japonica, the pineconefish, is found in the regions you mention. I hope the following Fishbase links work:
Monocentris japonica, Pineconefish : aquarium
Cleidopus gloriamaris, Pineapplefish : aquarium
There is a slight differnce in the scale patterns if you look at the pics closely but whether this is a valid way of sorting them out I have no idea

Reactions: Jax
What an incredible fish..they had been on my "list" forever until i finally saw some on my last trip at Aliwal in South Africa. They sure are hard to photograph!

Thanks for the links Jim.

ocdiver, I also photographed one example at T-Barge off Umhlanga, Natal, S. Africa back in 1997.

From the distribution map, I would have to agree that the ones I have seen and photographed are Monocentris japonica

Pineapplefish (knightfish) are regularly seen in Sydney. At the moment, there are five at a dive site called Shiprock where they have been for most of this year. A brilliant fish, especially at night when they emit a blue glow from near each eye. Our species is Cleidopus gloriamaris but looks almost identical as far as I can see.

Seeing them at night would certainly be interesting, but I guess difficult to photograph the glow!

Back
Top Bottom