Pining over the state of diving, including how it affects soloing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting talk, he of does an excellent job of mapping out what a lot of us have observed anecdotally. Bad buddies are worse than nothing (unless of course, you mentoring, instructing or at least know about how weak they are at the beginning).

The most interesting thing to me in that lill' presentation is how the BSAC "present" the numbers to promote their organizations role in diving administration and access to government/public funding(it's links to insurance companies)- somebody 'must' be creaming off something- whether it's coin or power trip.

We just had a "whistleblower" post from an ex- instructor who spoke of dive shops "dumbing" new divers down, so they are dependent on the shop/charter operator, that behaviour; it's sinister, predatious and covert.
He does create a big picture doesn't he!

How much these unethical operators contribute to fatalities and increased/unnecessary laws, regulations and costs of participation is very interesting, as it shows a link between private enterprise and government that is detrimental to the health and welbeing of the general public(fascism).
Caveat emptor!!! should be the way of dealing these problems- slander/defamation laws need clarification and simplification; so that people can speak candidly about their experiences with dodgy operators, let the consumers voice be heard; that would change the face of the Industry and have a beneficial effect in "our" society.

To many lawyers, spoil the democracy!!!!!

I dive alone because.............. I can, they can take my regulator out of my cold dead mouth!

Mark Powell's talk (the video posted above) was enormously controversial
for BSAC.

I posted a link to the video on the BSAC forum and got a lifetime ban for my trouble. Well, actually I don't know why I got banned, when I asked I was told that the reason for it was a secret that couldn't be divulged to me.

Luckily, they relented and reduced it to a mere two-week ban but then they decided that, to save themselves from such embarrassingly juvenile behaviour from their moderators in future, they would simply ban everyone from their forum who wasn't a BSAC member. This is the forum that described itself as 'The home of UK diving" and the organisation itself was about "Diving for divers".

Honestly, you couldn't make it up :-(

Besides, I might get buddied up with a lovely mermaid who could become my future ultimate dive buddy!

Hope springs eternal.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2013 at 04:23 PM ----------

Sarysa, I share your feelings for solo diving and can not help making an analogy to current political thinking. You are living in a part of the country that thrives on the "it takes a village" philosophy and seems to discourage individualism. I have nothing against diving with a buddy and prefer this when it is someone I know but I think that all divers should progress toward a level of comfort and skill that allows them to be capable of self-rescue and solo diving. If the individual is strong then the village becomes stronger, not weaker.

Please don't make this about politics. I live in Florida and they want buddies in the parks here too and have been since I learned to dive in the 90s.

All I can say is, come to Texas!

Sure, we have our share of instructors with the attitude of "my way is the divine way" but in the past year I haven't seen any scuba police. My first dive was at Windy Point and Richard's attitude was something to the effect of "I don't need to see your c-card, you found that gear somewhere and knew to come out here so you must be a diver. And I don't care if you solo dive either cause you aren't on my land, your in the public waters."

Then I started frequenting this one boat. The owner wasn't too worried about being solo certified. He just said use your common sense and do it so you are comfortable. Finally I visited another boat and was taken aside and casually told 'no problem' as far as he was concerned.

Eventually I took the class just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. But ya, there seems to be a C-CARD for everything.... I pass on most of them.

Greetings sarysa I like your thread as it opens a great conversation.
In our area we are not really looked down on unless using a charter and those are the more Rec related.
I do not exclusively solo dive but I do dive self-rescue every dive so in a sense I treat every dive as a solo.
I have done a few Tech solo dives and find them to be very relaxing, and when you are not distracted by a buddy and please do not misunderstand me, it allows one to focus on the dive even more!
I am not antisocial nor do I exclude myself from buddy dives but as the farther you work into the Tech scene you will undoubtedly be confronted with go solo or sit it out.
My first dive made the decision for me, I choose to be self reliant and acknowledge the risk and prepare for it.

Our local quarry allows solo diving and it is among the few who do in my area.
Just did a dive this mid-week and I was the only one there! All to myself!
Peaceful so I get it totally what you are saying.
I do enjoy diving with others it adds to the dive but when it starts to reverse I will choose solo every time.
I evaluate every dive plan and will adapt from there.
Sometimes I just walk away and sit it out if it is going to be a cluster.
If I am paying then I will not walk away but creatively try to manipulate the plan then decide to dive or not.
Sorry if I am being perceived as a snob really I am not.
I take diving serious and will not be a part of a disaster that is why I payed for my solo card even though I dive that way all the time.

CamG

Mark Powell's talk (the video posted above) was enormously controversial
for BSAC.

I posted a link to the video on the BSAC forum and got a lifetime ban for my trouble. Well, actually I don't know why I got banned, when I asked I was told that the reason for it was a secret that couldn't be divulged to me.

Luckily, they relented and reduced it to a mere two-week ban but then they decided that, to save themselves from such embarrassingly juvenile behaviour from their moderators in future, they would simply ban everyone from their forum who wasn't a BSAC member. This is the forum that described itself as 'The home of UK diving" and the organisation itself was about "Diving for divers".

Honestly, you couldn't make it up :-(

Knowing some people in BSAC that does not surprise me .... :rolleyes:

great thread and quality discussion, the way i see it every tec dive is solo dive basicly ,i gave my explanation for my solo dives on another topic, and speaking of c cards and nonsense about c card for even standing on a boat, well human nature in general is greedy, just a way of taking more and more money and putting new generations in that dependable state so they can have a long term income from them , but by the end of the day when you go down under who can stop or control what you do ? will books keep the ow from going below 18 ?and so on........... i was the one always fought the systems on my own way, i even defied some of the p... system rules and trainings and simply dont care about a lot, if they try to stop me from solo ill go to another country, ill buy my own boat and jump every day, its not worth getting upset or anything alike and especially not worth loosing time explaining new gens defined by books and fears what they can or cannot,it will just make harm to them, and brain melt to you, thats why i like internet , finding open minded community support and experience sharing

cheers mates

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom