Pinnacle Evolution 3 Drysuit review.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Pinnacle Evolution 3 Review
Some months ago I made the decision to go dry so that I could further enjoy my time in the water. My dive buddy who also dives dry (before me) was sort of the pull factor that encourage me to move this direction.
Back story: I don’t normally get cold so I thought I would just buy a 7mm John suit and try diving. I searched and found a John suit in a price range I could afford from scubatoys. The suit arrived and I found the necessary hood and gloves. I gotta throw out a thanks to scubatoys, they did some special fitting for me XXL bottom, XXXL top, which really helped me out. So the day arrives and I go to the quarry, water temps were in the mid 50’s. Donning and Doffing the 7mm is not super hard, but it isn’t a picnic either. One thing I did find, it was hard to breath in the 7mm suit. Into the water we went, I could not believe how buoyant I was at that point. Just wow. Of course I have A LOT of neoprene covering my momentous girth. I finally got weighted enough with approx 32+lbs. Upon diving I discovered that my buoyancy was extremely compromised with this kind of weight. My movement either up or down was extremely sluggish, I would have to put a lot of air into the wing to move up, and once started it was a challenge to keep the ascent under control. I lost track of the number of times I surfaced like shamu. I’m surprised I didn’t rupture an ear drum on that day. I was eventually able to get the buoyancy straight with some more trim pockets, but the buoyancy was still extremely sluggish and not a lot of fun. It was on the last dive with the 7mm (which wasn’t bad) that I decided I would shop for a used dry suit with my budget in the area of $1k.
I started shopping around and quickly started narrowing my search to the bare brand, and then surprisingly the pinnacle brand. I guess my timing was good, I found a pinnacle freedom 2 deal at DRIS. I found that I could get a F2 +undergarment (of choice)+boots+hose+suspenders for just under $1k delivered. Wow! I contacted Mike at DRIS and started moving forward. After several emails and a phone call I was informed that pinnacle was going to make my F2 out of the same material as the E3, which was fine with me. I was just happy to get a combo package like this for the price I was getting. Oh and I picked up some HOG tech fins for $65. Another deal!
So I ordered the suit at the end of November/beginning of December and it arrived around the 5th of January. I had hoped for a New Years dive etc, but oh well. There had been much discussion on my Dry suit skills thread regarding fitment, and custom was the best way to go. There were allegations that IF the suit did not fit the boards would never hear about it, I guess they felt that I didn’t have enough integrity to discuss the matter in an open manner. I stated that I would indeed do a review of the suit.
The day the suit arrived I rushed home to open the box. I was so stoked to get a new drysuit. I had been advised that the material would be a gray/grey, and not the black shown on the website. I didn’t mind that at all mind you. Well I opened the box and lo and behold, there sat an Evolution 3!!! I’m like Holy crap!!!!!!!! It’s Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I immediately took inventory of the box and all of the items had arrived. First things first. I tried on the undergarment. True to form it was “snug” on my shoulders and chest, and VERY long on the torso/legs. I’m used to this mind you. I think took off the garment and put the suit on w/o the garment. I found there was plenty of room and the legs fit fairly well. I thought they were long, but after sending pictures to Mike he told me that length was normal to allow for movement. Well, he is the expert so I’ll take his word for it. Oh and the neck needed trimming, I have an 18” neck, it’s sort of tight at this point. I then put the garment back on then the drysuit. Everything went on fine with the exception of the legs, they are so long in the garment that the material packs into the legs limiting how much I can pull it up. The evolution fleece undergarment is darn thick and hot when you aren’t in the water. Wow.
Now it’s time to “train”. My buddy and I rented the pool for a couple hours one evening so I could find my buoyancy etc. I had studied and asked as many questions as possible about the skills I needed so I tried every conceivable drill I could do. The suit performed flawlessly with no issues at all related to floaty feet. Did I say the garment was hot? I nearly passed out due to the heat, seriously. It was at this night of training that I decided I had to do something about the legs.
I took the garment to the seamstress and they ended up cutting roughly 8” off each leg and reattaching the neoprene cuffs. I had the opportunity to dive at the Philadelphia quarry in TN with Liquidsquid a couple w/e ago. The shortened legs were just the ticket for fitting into the suit better. We suited up and went diving. Removing the length of legs really helped removing some of the buoyancy and weight necessary to dive. I had some of the best diving I’ve ever had that w/e. Thanks Liquidsquid for going with me.
Now to evaluate the materials as I see them.

• Weight of material: this appears and feels to be a very stout material, holes will not be an issue unless I’m really abusive to the suit.
  • Quality of stitching: everything looks good so far, nothing crooked etc.
  • Quality of sealing: I can see a couple places where the seal tap wants to pull away (I don’t know if that is the correct term). These location appear to be where there are multi layers in the area of where the booty attaches. I’ll be watching this. I don’t see an issue with the seam, just the tape.
  • Quality of the seals: Damn the wrist seals are thick and hard to trim. Neck seal is good and not so hard to trim.
  • There is a flap with Velcro covering the main zipper, which is nice. I would have preferred a zippered flap, but again cost.
  • The booties are supposed to be sized for a 10, they are just a touch snug making socks a selection issue. On the last dive I used regular socks and lavacore socks, this worked well.
  • Thigh pockets, nice to have and plenty big with bungee in them.
  • Over all fitment is really good. The thighs are a touch baggy but work great with undergarments like they should. Fit on the shoulders w/o the garment is loose enough that with the garment it is a non-issue.
Diving it:
I have found no issues diving the suit, I can maneuver and go head up or down and go back to horizontal with no problems. I do need to master the shoulder valve, I have it opened too far and will vent air when I inflate to remove squeeze. Causing me to use even more air (waste of air). Once I get the valve set I’m going to be fine. I had one start of a run-a-way and got it stopped after only about 10’. I was really happy with how quickly I recovered. No issues after that as I tracked what had happened and made sure it didn’t happen again.
Overall impressions:
I like the suit, for my first suit this is proving to be quite a bargain. I look forward to many more dives.

ETA: I thought I would add something about flexibility. When comparing my DS to my 7mm I feel I actually have more mobility. My SI is much more comforatable, I must say that when I am shrink wrapped I do feel rather constricted, but I consider that not a normal condition. The undergarment really causes the restricted mobility for me. Hopefully Rondel's undergarment will be less restrictive.

Attachments

• IMG_20120120_184242.jpg
    IMG_20120120_184242.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 585
  • MitchPinnacle.jpg
    MitchPinnacle.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 685
Last edited:
Nice suit you got there. How about a full length picture to see how the whole suit looks? I will be the first one to admit, nothing I have seen to date looks as good as a custom fit DUI, But you definitely have to pay to look good. I purchased My first suit a Bare Nex-Gen online and got a great deal on it but not as good as you made out, and went through the same thing with fitting as you did and it all turned out fine. Over the summer I purchased a whites Fusion and fit? Well as long as you're not two sizes off it will fit. Good luck with the new suit I sure it will make diving so much enjoyable, I know it did for me. The only down fall is it may turn you into a wuss, I know it did to me, my last wet dive was in 62 degree water in a 7mm semi dry and I was frozen after 45 minutes. Before the drysuit I would do 45 min to an hour in 42 degree water in my 7mm.

Andy, thanks for the kind words. Ya this will probably wussify me for sure. I do intend to dive this in the summer with light weight garments. I want to get as good as I can be with the suit. After all, a lot of $$ was spent on this. I'll get a full length shot next Wed. Oh wait, if you go to the Philly quarry review in the deep Dixie forum there is a pic of me squatted down looking like a Michelin man with that garment. I inflated the suit some for the surface interval. LOL

Congratulations on the suit!

Looking at your photograph, and the positioning of the dump valve on your left arm, if you can't keep gas in the suit when you inflate it with the valve all the way open, then either you are overweighted, or you are way out of trim. That valve positioning should make it easy to retain quite a lot of gas in the suit.

where can we have info on the Evo3?
It's not on their website.

Congratulations on the suit!

Looking at your photograph, and the positioning of the dump valve on your left arm, if you can't keep gas in the suit when you inflate it with the valve all the way open, then either you are overweighted, or you are way out of trim. That valve positioning should make it easy to retain quite a lot of gas in the suit.
I wondered that myself (out of trim).

There is another possible explanation, my arm position is not the same as other use. Due to my body shape I swim with a more open position and forward with my arms. I thought if anything I was more head down due to the placement of my trim pockets. It is definitely not over weighting.

ETA: I think Irishsquid needs to speak to the trim issue, he could see me from the distance. I'm on the inside looking out.

where can we have info on the Evo3?
It's not on their website.

I've tried to find more info, I've had no luck. I can find it on Aussie websites, but not in the US. I doubt seriously that I have the only one in the US.

ETA: I was told by an LDS owner in MI that the Evo 3 was a marketing blunder due to the color of the DS, that people didn't like the Gray/grey color. I don't know how valid that conversation was. But since Pinnacle is notorious for the poor CS (communications) I have no way of knowing.

I wonder if the board studs will have the juevos to come on this thread and admit I did the review contrary to what they said. Probably not.

Congrats on the new Dry Suit. I was considering a Pinnacle last winter but decided not to due to shipment delays, etc..

I did get a Bare Tech Dry and love it. It looks pretty much like what you have. I'll probably see you at the quarry...I'll be the one diving dry in June....maybe July...

DB

I'll be the one diving dry in June....maybe July...

DB

Hay I resemble that comment. There is nothing wrong with diving a drysuit year round. You will be the one doing hour long dives below the thermocline and coming out comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom