Pit bull coming at me, owner screaming "Vicious NO"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
Which link was it that showed pit bulls, as a breed, have been bred for aggressiveness? Obviously some dog fighters and others have bred various animals for aggressiveness, but they do the same to chickens and no one is going to argue that chickens should be, say, outlawed.

Indeed, most things I've read about pit bulls state that they are by nature *not* aggressive towards humans and make poor guard dogs.

Wikipedia quote:

"The American Temperament Test Society, Inc. (ATTS) breed statistics as of December 2004 show an 83.4% passing rate for the American Pit Bull Terrier and a 93.2% passing rate for the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, as compared to an 81% average pass rate for all dog breeds."

jonnythan, you should really familiarize yourself with the conversation before jumping in. The links are several pages back. I'm not going to repost them because you can't be bothered to look.

Pit bulls HAVE been bred for aggressiveness. No, not people who TRAIN dogs to be fighters. You are confusing training (which happens after the dog is born) with breeding (which is the process of selecting dogs over many generations for certain qualities). Pit bulls were bred for DOG-AGGRESSIVE qualities. The day it is born, a pit bull has an inherent tendency to be aggressive toward other dogs, which is what the original post was all about.

It doesn't have a thing to do with their attitude towards people or their abilities as guard dogs. Do you want to talk about your favorite movies or what you did last weekend, now too, or should we stick to the topic?

I never said they weren't friendly towards people. I said they were dog aggressive and I could not have been clearer. You need to re-read what I posted before reacting.

I never said to ban pit bulls. That's not the discussion. Some people (yourself?) refuse to believe that a dog can be bred for certain qualities and that a pit bull was bred for dog aggressiveness. Those people (you?) are wrong.

I do think that attitudes like yours are dangerous and misleading, not because you really care about the debate, but because you're bored. Denying pit bulls' DOG AGGRESSIVE nature is irresponsible. All pit bull owners should be aware and conscious of this INNATE aggressive tendency and should use extreme caution around other dogs. If you choose a breed that can and often does hurt other DOGS, then you need to own that responsibility.

I know where you got that quote about the ATTS, and if you had posted the link, I think we could all read on that it concedes that only pit bull owners with extremely docile dogs would submit their dogs for judging. It's not an accurate sample of the pit bull population.

Please stop trying to derail the discussion or put me in a position of defending something I never said just because you're bored. If you want to get in on the discussion, have the common courtesy to read the thread and stick to the topic. My stance is that pit bulls tend to be more dog-aggressive than other breeds, not because of training, but because of breeding. Other than a desire to disagree with something...anything...what is your stance on that subject?

FWIW
As I said before, I had a pit ( Mugsy) that lived with a Rotweiler, a shepard and a Bichon Frise. They all got along fine. One Day I took Mugsy to the vet and we ran into a littermate of his in the parking lot. They looked at each other, sniffed once, and launched into full attack mode. Fortunately both were on leashes held by full size men. Maybe they had an old score, maybe just dominance testing. Point being, if you are going to have a pit bull, keep it under control. And never let it forget that you're the boss.

I've had shepards, beagles, spaniels and a lot of mutts in my life. If you like dogs, the pit bull is about as much dog as you can get.

laughintom:
H2OAndy
While I enjoy your posts, I have to correct one fact. Pits have been rolled against Tosas, Akitas, Bandogs, Rotties and anything else vaguely related to a dog. The reason this breed has been used almost exclusively by dog fighters is that there is no other breed nearly as effective when it comes to fighting another dog. Even when matched against dogs two to three times their weight, they win. That is not to say that an exceptionally game dog of another breed cannot beat a cur, but when best of breed is matched, the pit wins. With this in mind, any owner of a pit that lets it run off the leash, should be charged and or fined if the dog hurts another dog.

Not according to this: http://www.fila.org/libourel/index.html

(I'm not agreeing with Andy, God forbid, just disagreeing with you):D

holy crap!

i'm taking a picture of my screen right noW!

have you ever noticed how certain threads divide everyone into two groups: those people you always seem to agree with and those you almost always don't agree with?

jonnythan:
Holy overreaction, Batman!!

That's who-moo who-moo new-koo new-koo ah-poo ah-ah man to you! I think the two of you make for great entertainment ... I hope the debate rages on, to be frank. For the record I side with inbred tendencies are difficult to mellow out of a dog, those who want to turn a breed's reputation around will often submit the mellowest batches for testing - thus distorting the overall breed's metrics, this is dead on truth.

thats cause we have kids.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom