Pit bull coming at me, owner screaming "Vicious NO"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa:
If I remember right they have lock bites. If they bite they will rip out hunks before they can open their mouths....it would not have been pretty. Glad you got away as you did and no, a dog like that should not be taken out in public without a muzzle...I also think if you can't handle a dog, it is not the dog for you.

and terriers have jaw structure that allows more psi tha the same size dog of another breed. In essence, they have strong jaws that can compress down to bite and crush animals. All terriers, not just pit bulls, have basically the same thing going with the jaws. All terriers were bred to be killing machines - be it other dogs (pit bulls) or vermin like rats, mice, foxes or weasels.

catherine96821:
Well, Andy I see a lot of ice heads with Pit Bulls chained around their compounds so maybe we have a different gene pool here.

In SoCal when I go into the BAD neighborhoods where drugs were rampant, same thing.

I don't see myself getting all PC about Pit Bulls. Certainly there are exceptions, but certain types of people are attracted to certain types of dogs, IMO. When I see one, it goes on my radar.

maybe there isn't a breed called Pit Bull in your book. I know one when I see it.

I think if you talk to mail carriers, ambulance workers, cops and animal control you might change your view.

were enforced, you wouldn't be seeing all of those dogs chained in yards. Those problem dogs would be confiscated and their owners charged with neglect/cruelty as well as whatever other crimes they've committed.

TSandM:
catherine, if you ban "pit bulls" (assuming you can even define what one is), the people you are talking about will get Rotties or Dobes or Shepherds and pervert them as well. It is NOT the dogs that are the issue.

when they banned pit bulls, rotties, etc, the drug dealers went to Barbary Apes - a macaque monkey that has a NASTY personality. Thes animals have large canines and a very short temper. They can be triggered into an attack quite easily. No more dog fights either - the gangs went to monkey fights.

Banning a breed isn't the answer - the bad guys will just move on to something else - another dog or another species. Holding the individuals with the problem animals responsible is the answer.

hdtran:
I wish owners of pit bulls who misbehaved had all their belongings sued off, and were thrown in jail to boot. (Heck, let's make that owners of poorly trained dogs, period). Not to mention owners of un-neutered dogs, etc.

IRRESPONSIBLE owners of un-neutered/unspayed dogs. I've had both for 20+ years with only two litters - both carefully planned. It's not hard to prevent unwanted litters - if the owner PAYS ATTENTION to their dogs and acts responsibly.

this thread is never going to die is it? I think it is serving some deep seated psychogical need here. We need a psychiatrist in here.

catherine96821:
We need a psychiatrist in here.

shrink: do you hate your mother?

pit bull: well... no... i mean... i don't remember her too well. they
took me away from her when i was three months old.

shrink: do you hate your father?

pit bull: well, i never met him. i wasn't born when he left.

shrink: well, that explains a lot.

pit bull: it does?

shrink: yes. you have a latent abbandonment phobia, compounded
by an oedipal complex and gender identification issues.

pit bull: wow... everything makes so much sense now. so what do i do?

shrink: try not to bite anybody. anger management classes should help.

pit bull: ok, how about my problem of chasing anyone on a bicycle?

shrink: well, you'll have to leave the bicycle with me.

pit bull: ok.

shrink: and don't buy anohter one.

anger management court mandated classes, cause its not his fault.

Ber Rabbit:
My yellow lab Katie and I were on the local bike path, I was rollerblading and she was running along on her leash. The bike path isn't terribly long in that area so Katie and I go back and forth a few times until she's tired. We were coming back from the far end and I said "On your right" as we passed two teenage girls and their Pit Bull. The dog started snarling and lunging and I saw out of the corner of my eye that they were having trouble controlling it as it tried to come after Katie and I. We passed my husband and our old dog Amber and continued to the parking area. I didn't want to run into that pit bull again so we hung around the parking area for a while before heading back down the trail. I was hoping the girls were local and had turned and gone back the way they had come since I had not passed them on the first 3 trips down the path. Unfortunately I was wrong and after slowing for a blind curve came upon them again and the dog went crazy but this time it got loose. The girls were screaming "VICIOUS! NO!, VICIOUS! NO!" and I'm wondering if that's the dogs name (stupid name for a Pit Bull if you want to keep it) or if they are trying to warn me about his temperament as I stopped to deal with their attacking dog. I ran off into the mud to stop as the pit bull (an intact male and maybe 60 pounds) jumped on Katie. He wasn't biting her, yet, and I was reeling in the leash to bring them to me since I couldn't safely leave the mud and deal with the dog without falling. He was clearly trying to dominate her by mounting and after the third attempt she told him in no uncertain terms who the dominant dog was and he gave up on her and came for me. I assumed a position that would allow me to keep my feet and subdue the dog when he got to me (the wrist guards were going to be tested) but luckily the owner tackled him about a foot from me. She didn't have the leash or collar, the other girl was holding that and running toward us, but the owner sat on the dog and covered his eyes and yelled, "Go, just go NOW PLEASE!" I was ticked but didn't see any reason to risk getting my dog hurt so we went on our way. I met my husband down the trail and we stayed at our old dog's pace as we headed toward the truck. Luckily the girls had gone on their way before we arrived at the parking lot.

I was pretty ticked off, what kind of an idiot takes a dog like that out in public? I'm not afraid of dogs and this one certainly didn't scare me but I was concerned for my dog's safety. I suspect if Katie had been male the pit bull would have been more inclined to use his teeth. I certainly didn't appreciate him coming after me and that girl was fixing to be minus a dog. I never even thought to call the cops even though I had my phone. I doubt they could have gotten there fast enough to take possession of the dog, the girls would have been long gone if they knew I had called. This dog had serious issues, I've met a number of Pit Bulls that were great dogs but this wasn't one of them.
End Rant.
Ber :lilbunny:

I'm sorry if this sounds a little Ramboish, but I was attacked by a Chow and my Wife was attacked by a Pit Bull. Depending on what I was wearing and what activity I was doing at the time, the dog would have ingested a lead projectile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom