Place to buy Suunto products?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glenn V

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Suunto Vyper dive computer. A LDS near me, a Suunto dealer, has them for $525.00. Sportextreme.com and scubastore.com (aka DiveInn) have them for ~$348 US. I have two questions:
1. Are DiveInn and Sportextreme authorized Suunto dealers?
2. Is it better to buy from the LDS where I can walk in and deal with a problem directly, but pay an extra $150 to $175 for the item?
Murphy's Law always seems to come into play with me when I try to save a buck hence i'm leaning toward the LDS. However, if I buy online from the others I'll save enough money to buy the Vyper and the PC interface for the same price as the computer alone from the LDS.
Anyone have any experience with those dealers?
Thanks.

I purchased my Suunto Cobra from DiveInn and haven't regretted it a bit. They did have to send me a photocopied owner's manual, since the one that came in the original box was no doubt in Spanish. But I'll take a ghetto manual over stuffing my LDS pocket with $200- more than what I paid from DiveInn.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver

Try to shop to another LDS, you might get it cheaper. I think if you buy from the net, you should pay the sipping and custom, which might end up almost the same. Plus, the LDS might not accept the warranty should anything happen with your computer.

Glenn V:
I'm looking to buy a Suunto Vyper dive computer. A LDS near me, a Suunto dealer, has them for $525.00. Sportextreme.com and scubastore.com (aka DiveInn) have them for ~$348 US. I have two questions:
1. Are DiveInn and Sportextreme authorized Suunto dealers?
2. Is it better to buy from the LDS where I can walk in and deal with a problem directly, but pay an extra $150 to $175 for the item?
Murphy's Law always seems to come into play with me when I try to save a buck hence i'm leaning toward the LDS. However, if I buy online from the others I'll save enough money to buy the Vyper and the PC interface for the same price as the computer alone from the LDS.
Anyone have any experience with those dealers?
Thanks.
Try LeisurePro they have very good prices, a good return policy, fair shipping costs and their own warrantee.

I bought my Vytec there and have had zero problems. The savings can be significant. Also I have contacted Suunto several times with questions and told them were I bought it. They had no problem answering my questions and never once mentioned anything to do with where I purchased it.

OTOH, if you are worried you may want to pay more and go to your LDS for piece of mind even though there is no guarentee your not going to have problems there either.

Either way you will enjoy the Suunto product.

Suunto does not back their products sold online. LP is the only online company I know of that has their own warranty. Check around at a couple of your LDS, I found one that will match LP prices.

LP does a fine job and they provide their own warranty.

cjones:
Suunto does not back their products sold online. LP is the only online company I know of that has their own warranty. Check around at a couple of your LDS, I found one that will match LP prices.
Do you know that for a fact?

If you start looking at some of the online stores they will let you know which companies back online purchases and which don't. The trend has been to make you buy their products(manuf) from your LDS which will be an authorized dealer. I think there are a few left that will still honor online purchases. If I 'am not mistaken they are Gensis, Tusa and Aeris, there may be a few more but those are the biggies. Suunto just changed their policy in the last year.(US only) If your unsure call the copmpany in question.

cjones:
If you start looking at some of the online stores they will let you know which companies back online purchases and which don't. The trend has been to make you buy their products(manuf) from your LDS which will be an authorized dealer. I think there are a few left that will still honor online purchases. If I 'am not mistaken they are Gensis, Tusa and Aeris, there may be a few more but those are the biggies. Suunto just changed their policy in the last year.(US only) If your unsure call the copmpany in question.
I wouldn't rely completely on what their web sites say as far as unauthorized dealers, it's mostly fluff. Many have had repairs and/or returns on products that have bought off on-line company's.

When I sent Suunto an E-mail describing what I believed to be a problem (was actaully my error) down loading dives. I fully explained where I bought my Vytec and detailed what I thought to be my problem. They sent me a repsonse that detailed a few things to try and also the statement that if the problem persisted to send it to them for repair or replacement. Had there been something wrong I would have sent it back to LP first but it was clear that they would replace it if neccessary.

Bottom line is they made the product and they are responsible for it no matter what they try to tell you.

melfox26:
... They did have to send me a photocopied owner's manual, since the one that came in the original box was no doubt in Spanish. ...

Your first clue it is "grey market" product and without mfg warranty is a instruction manual not in your countires lanuage (Suunto is Finnish).

Do what you want, but for myself, I like my Suunto and the fact if I have a problem I have the mfg warranty and can talk direct to Suunto about any issues. I have exchanged e-mail with Suunto on more than one occasion and I am very happy with the service. Buying from unauthorized dealers you may lose that.

Is the dealer you are dealing with authorized? Best way to find out is to ask them a direct question "are you currently a factory authorized Suunto dealer" or check here http://www.suunto.com/pls/suunto/suunto2.pubmainpage.frameset

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom