Places in Cozumel for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive 'N' Dolphin:
Don't you have to have a certain amount of dives under your belt before you can take an advanced open water class?

Stacy

Some would say "unfortunately", but no, you don't. You could conceivably go straight to an advanced class out of a basic OW class, but I don't know that I would consider anyone who has done that to be an advanced diver.

Dive 'N' Dolphin:
Don't you have to have a certain amount of dives under your belt before you can take an advanced open water class?

Stacy
I would recommend trying to get in a few dives before taking your AOW. My wife and I did about 20 dives before taking our AOW, I think we were able to get much more from the class due to having some dives under our belts. We were comfotable with our equipment and each other and we were able to focus on what was being taught to us instead of playing with bouyancy or adjusting equipment.
Some of the people in our class did go right from OW to AOW and they seemed to be a bit overwhelmed. Not by the class work but during the actual training dives. That being said, there were also some in the class that (in my opinion) that benefited from the extra "supervised" dives. Ask yourself how comfortable you are in the water, if you answer is not very, you might want to take the extra class before you start diving on your own.

I believe PADI recommends that you go directly to AOW from your OW class. The logic behind this is that you will benefit from further instruction immediately as a new diver; and while that is true, there is some logic to the idea that you should absorb the lessons and develop skills taught in OW before going into another class.

Now, I personally would never say this in print, but do you think it's a slight possibility that PADI would like to encourage divers to take the AOW immediately because they know that diving statistics show a high percentage of divers just don't continue diving, and the most likely time they'll get you to sign up for the class is while you're still fresh from the OW class?

Regarding the "advanced" moniker, I don't think that PADI is claiming that someone who goes directly from OW to AOW will emerge as an "advanced" diver. But what else could they call it? How about COWTLTSTSHBTIOW? That's "continuing open water to learn the skills that should have been taught in open water"

Anyhow, I would say if you want to take the class, go for it...if you have a good instructor it will be really fun and you will improve as a diver. If you feel like you just want to dive, then wait on the class; that will also be really fun and you'll improve as a diver. A trip to Cozumel after completing your OW class is a win-win situation.

About the knife, I would strongly suggest you leave it at home and get either a line cutter or a pair of EMT shears. By far the most common entanglement threat would be fishing line and the shears are much better for that than a knife. That rule is an environmental rule, and IMO should be respected.

I agree with the idea of having a few dives under your belt before taking the AOW course. It gave us a chance to use what we learned in OW, and develop a list of things we had to work on to improve our skills. When we took the AOW, I had a short list of personal goals that I wanted to accomplish via the course.

For example: My bouyancy was reasonably good, but I was able to really get it fine tuned via the peak performance bouyancy specialty. A lot of divers told me that one day, around 25 dives, I would "get it," but, under the supervision of an instructor, I was able to dial in to that weightless feeling and register it in my aging mind for future dives. I was thrilled during the rest of our dives when I was able to find the sweet spot again and again. In retrospect, I don't think I could have accomplished the same thing going to AOW straight out of OW.

We learn about task loading, but the more I dive, the more I understand the true meaning of the term. Remember: When you're up to your a-- in alligators, it's difficult to remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

The more you improve your skills, the less you have to think about them; and the more you'll enjoy your diving. There's also a school of thought that says you should take AOW immediately after OW, so you don't develop bad habits. Just remember that everyone is different, and do what works for you.

On another note: More and more places are prohibiting knives (including Cozumel). Get yourself a pair of EMT shears, and maybe a small line cutter, and forget the knife.

Dive 'N' Dolphin,

You have gotten a variety of advice here, mostly real good. Most of the advice and comments have been about wetsuits and knives. Keep in mind that when it comes to personal warmth and comfort and wetsuit thickness, remember INAC = "It's Not A Competition". What thickness wetsuit I use or anyone else on here uses is really not that important. What is important is that you (and your buddy) be comfortable. Eventually as you complete more dives, you will figure out for yourself what temperatures require what thickness of wetsuit. Don't be uncomfortable and don't be swayed or pressured by others.

Back to your original post: I want to add emphasis to one piece of advice that was given. In posts 2, 15 & 24 it was mentioned that you should tell the DM about your level of experience etc. This is a VERY key element. I would extend it further to say that you should be very up front with the dive operator at all levels. Make sure that they know how many dives you have and what your experience and comfort level is. A great dive that exceeds your comfort zone is not a great dive. Most operators will do their best to ensure that you have great dives, so they will try to accomodate you.

You really should let them know BEFORE you get to the boat so that the can plan. It would be very unfortunate if you were set on a boat with other divers of significantly different skill level / desires. Somebody will end up disappointed. They can probably take you to easy dives at first, and then gradually as your comfort and experience grows you will want to explore slightly more advanced scenarios. However, they would most likely prefer to know this sooner rather than later. Just my opinion & suggestion.

Also, please note that most of the diving in Cozumel is Drift Diving. There is a nice reference I wrote about Drift Diving in Cozumel in Post #3 of this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=77908

It might be useful to you.

Wristshot

The dive opperator we used did not follow thru with taking us to a nice easy dive for our first dive (like aggreed upon in e-mails and speaking in person) It was me, my husband and one other couple/our friends who we were vacationing with. Only us 4 on the boat that day.
I had like 10 dives under my belt and e-mailed all my concerns and at suggestion from reading this board asked about having my own DM to help me out but I was assured all would be fine and we would be doing 2 nice easy dives.
Our first dive in the ocean in Cozumel we dove Palancar Gardens. Planned depth of 80 feet with swim through’s. We learned the dive plan on the way to the site. I was nervous I didn’t want to do swim through’s and I didn’t want to do an 80 ft. dive for my first dive. I wanted a shallow novice dive site like we had previously discussed. I got in the water and gave it a try.... I was underweight. I was under a few feet, but I was not sinking. Our DM tried to get me down by pulling on me from behind. She attached an extra weight from her to my tank strap but at that point I panicked and went up. I didn't dive at all that day and seriously wondered why I was even diving at all and if I should ever again.

My point to this is... Don't clam up like I did. My worst mistake was not stating my concerns on the boat and holding firm to MY comfort level. I tried to go with the flow even though it exceeded what I needed to be comfortable in that situation.

Good luck and have fun! Coz is great and we have our return trip planned for November. Can't wait untill it gets closer to see who all will be there over Thanksgiving with us!!!

scubasherry:
I had like 10 dives under my belt and e-mailed all my concerns and at suggestion from reading this board asked about having my own DM to help me out but I was assured all would be fine and we would be doing 2 nice easy dives.

Sounds like our dive op - everything was described as a nice easy dive! It probably is for them, but the first dive was 90+ft for the first dive - which was a bit more than I had anticipated for my first time in the water in 2 years.

Virtually all of us were underweighted (the chop had been too bad the night we arrived to test buoyancy - they called off diving the day we arrived and we'd have been dashed against the rocks if we'd tried).

I had fun, nonetheless, and will dive/stay with them again if I go - but don't trust the description "nice easy" and insist on a dive plan before boarding if you would be uncomfortable with a first dive at 90' (which seems to be pretty standard). After all, you're paying them for the experience, you shouldn't have to forfeit two dives because their definition of "easy" is different from yours.

Thank you for all the good advice. I love this forum. I will tell the DM our skill level and I know my fiancé will definitely make sure because he thinks I am kind of on the chicken side anyways :D We actually are taking the national geographic course so we will have 6 dives under us just through the course. Then we have planned a trip to get a couple easy lake dives in. So I am hoping time we get to Cozumel I will be a little more comfortable.

Now for the important question Wristshot, were did you get that Horn hood? I so need to get that for my fiancé. He is about obnoxious as they come :wink:

Thanks again everyone,
Stacy

Another question. I know you are supposed to tip but what if its an all inclusive resort. Do you still tip? how do you dertime how much?

Thanks
Stacy

Stacy:

You don't really have to tip the waitstaff at an all-inclusive. The meals are generally buffet-style anyway. The waiters will just bring drinks. If you want to leave them a few bucks, that should be sufficient. You can also leave tips at the end of the week at the desk to be distributed to the staff. A few bucks a meal is fine. Leave a couple of dollars a day for the housekeeping staff. Sometimes they leave an envelope for you to put housekeeping tips in. I always take a few envelopes with me for tips for housekeeping, dive shop staff, and waitstaff.

Back
Top Bottom