Plain bags for dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AllenG

Contributor
Reaction score
I have read with interest several other threads re air travel with gear bags that have obvious dive labeling (name brand or a dive-related graphic) vs. "plain jane" bags. I have had Grupo Taca hold back gear bags too many times and I'm ready to shift off to a plain bag. So now the challenge is to find a bag that's (1) tough enough to withstand the ravages of luggage handlers, (2) big enough for a full set of gear (no tanks or cameras, but too much of everything else), and (3) can withstand salt water exposure (e.g., stainless steel rivets, plastic clips and zippers) when I take the bag on to a boat. Can anyone recommend a brand or a web site?

I use regular luggage to transport my gear on the airplane - but I don't take my regular luggage on a boat - I carry a mesh bag (two mesh bags sometimes) made for Scuba gear and saltwater on the boat.
On a Liveaboard the regular luggage gets stashed immediately and the mesh bags come out.
Rick

Anything other than mesh bags is unsuitable for a boat...anything other than made-for-the-purpose luggage is unsuitable for air travel.

For the plane, I have a Samsonite hard-side suitcase (don't know the size...but it holds BC, fins, mask, camera + a few other bits). There are a number of very well-made carry bags with various dive logos on them, but you may as well have "STEAL ME!! " embroidered on all sides of them.

I agree with Rick and CW.
I have a LARGE 4 wheeled Samsonite soft sided suitcase. I place fins along the "walls" to give some protection, then pack so the most breakable stuff is padded by wetsuits,etc. Of Course,regs, computers and camera go in the carry-on.
Hope that last part still works with the newer airport security.
Good Luck,
Mike

I had a moment of panic once, looking for my black bag of dive equipment in a sea of black bags. I logged on to LLBean and got some of their duffles. They are plain nylon bags, in many colors, in several sizes. I got 4 sizes, all in Lime Green. For a trip to the tropics, flying, I'll use my large bag to check in and my small bag to carryon. In the large bag, I pack my mesh bag full of BC, Fins, Mask, etc. In the carryon, I bring 2 sets of regs, computer, Dive Rite Wreck Light, Book, Snack, Logbook, Medicines, bathing suit, and extra t shirt.

No dive logos of any kind on any bags. With the Lime Green, I can look out the window at DFW or at Cozumel and watch my gear being thrown around by the Bag Jockies.

I've been a happy camper ever since. The bags are tough, fairly cheap, and you can always pack in one more thing.

Miked -

My partner and I just returned from the Caribean in December. Carried on the Regs and Computers, Knives went in checked gear bag. No problems with Security, they recognized "scuba-stuff" as it passed under their TV "x-ray" monitor.

Allen G -

My LDS was having a sale just before we left. Bought an Akona rolling gear bag, with back-pack straps as well, although I can't imagine putting this on my back once it was full! We fit 2 sets of fins, BC's (1) mask, snorkles, skins, full 3-ml suits, booties and mesh bag (plus other sundries) with room to spare. My partner's perscription mask we carried on. The bag is black, which would be hard to spot at airport, but with colorfull embroidered frog and "adventure gear", which made it easier. Other than that, looks like an ordinary case, so I don't think it screamed "steal me"!

Good Luck!

Scuba-sass

My brother in-law, who is a pilot, recommends ballistic bags from Eddie Bauer (and now so do I).

One of the largest they make has wheels and back-pack straps, and the company will take them back if they wear out too soon for your tastes.

I asked if they had an exception clause for pilots and airline flight attendents, and he said no, even though EB knew that he was a pilot and would be returning it for a new one, free of cost replacement, before the year was out.

We took ours to Cozumel and they worked well, didn't wear, and could even handle wet gear. --Starfish

:doctor:

I have a Travelock 2000 Gear suitcase with the wheels and tow handle. It has regular handles on all sides so it's easy to lift it and throw it into a van or taxi. It is large enough for my wife's and my gear and it is durable. I bought it from Leisure Pro and their website showed it to be all black with no diver looking logos on it. When it showed up it had a little Travelok logo with a sea turtle under it. To me, the turtle (much like the Akona frog logo) says "I'm dive gear! Steal Me!" so I got a black permanent marker and colored over the logo. Now the bag is all black. If you look real close you can see the embroidery of the logo, but from a few feet away, it disappears. To solve the "another black bag" problem, get stencils and spraypaint your name or initials largely in the bright color of your choice on all sides of the suitcase. That way you can tell its yours no matter which side it lies on in the baggage carousel and you can see it on the baggage cart that they use to bring the luggage from the plane. I also use a mesh gear bag on the boat. The floor of the boat gets too wet for anything else.

I think Armor makes a line of discreet dive luggage. You can get them from Leisure Pro also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom