"Planet in Peril" on CNN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40

Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody watch the news report "Planet in Peril" thats been airing on CNN? Its been reviewing China's restaurant and supplement businesses. From a conservation standpoint, China is not up to par. Restaurants still rely heavily on wild caught animals, both common and endangered species. One restaurant had tiger penis on the menu. There are less that 5000 tigers left in the wild. Another had a stock room filled with live, wild caught turtles. I haven't seen the whole report yet, but its confirming my worst thoughts.

A few months ago I watched a special news report on Tiger Reserves in India. They were Tiger Reserves in name only, because all of the actual tigers had long been poached from the parks. But the parks failed to report this, less they lose their funding. I'm not 100% sure whether the U.S. levied sanctions against Myanmar. It will be interesting to see how the animal sanctuaries in that country (set up by biologists from the U.S.) fare if economic sanctions have indeed been set. A new species of deer, the most primitive of deer in fact, was just found in Myanmar in 1999.

when a country is that poor, the people that desperate the welfare of the planet becomes a low priority.

I worry more about their people than the animals there.

When we can address the poverty and all that comes with it, the justified fear they live in because of their governments and make it so these people enjoy even a tenth ogf the freedoms us in western societies enjoy, then maybe just possibly we can start to worry about animals and the enviornment there. Until that happens everything there suffers except the for the ones in charge who are despots.

Well thats another fiasco you hang on George Bush ...he , Cheney and Haliburton most likely put the junta of Burma up to this ...darn rascals all of them!!!

The real problem is overpopulation of very stupid humans.
It seems that all these third world countries are full of pregnant women and babies everywhere.
If I were in charge of a third world country, I would make birth control manditory, until you have the ability to care for a family as evaluated by a agency.
Then problem does end in the third world though, as I see people here in the US with 4-5-6 kids, divorced, parents skippin out, jail, kids stealing as the family has nothing, ect.
One guy at work has 5 kids, and want to divorce his wife for his pregnant girlfriend!
Idiots!

I got fixxed about three years ago after me and my long term girlfriend split.

Befor the age of universal health care and social welfare stupid people removed themselves from the gene pool.
Now it seems that stupid are removing the thinking people from the gene pool.
I have a friend who just returned from a trip to europe.
He tells me that the same thing is starting to happen over there.
Government raising taxes to pay for knocked up single moms.??
What the hell is going on??

At what point are we gona stop and reset the clock???
At what point is government gona say, sorry, we got no more money for this BS!

What a mess!
I just returned from a trip to San Diego, I saw it there too.
All the illegals, or likely illegals were pregnant too.

"The real problem is ... stupid humans..."
Lets see...

Declining Global Biodiversity <==> Stupid People

Yes....if I squint I can see the connection.

I'm going to go consult the voices now for further clarification.

scubabeachboy:
I got fixxed about three years ago after me and my long term girlfriend split.
Some are part of the problem, while others are part of the solution.

he started out ultra left (more govt interference in a persons life, for the good of the whole) and ended up ultra right. If nothing else it was obviously his thoughts!

worst case scanero:
People contine to abuse the planet, we ruin our own space ship ,everything dies of, we die off too, new species repopulate the planet, and a start fresh biosphere.
The new inhabitiants will find in the fossil record a petrafied skeleton with a cell phone, blackberry, a bottle of antibiotics, tranqualizers, a pistol, and dust mask.
They will say,..."hmmmmmmm???"
"seems there was a mass extinction that the humans knew was comming, but were unable to stop????"
"Kina of amazing isnt it?"
"They were smart enough to have satellities, cell phones, medicine and such, however, they could not stop the mass extinction that got them too???"
"Hmmmmmmmmm???"

"I wonder how they felt as this was happening before thier very eyes"
"A real mystery in the folssil record."
"hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom